110-grain 38 Special +P and SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pinger

Bearcat
I'm considering getting a Ruger SP101, 3-inch barrel, in a 357 Magnum. I'd like some recommendations for self-defense 38-Special +P rounds with that revolver. One specific question I have: Does anyone have any experience using Remington 110 grain SJHP R38S10 ammo with those revolvers? Would there be any problem using that 38 Special +P round with a Ruger SP101, and what are the pros and cons of using that round for self-defense?

I hear that any revolver chambered for 357 Magnum will also handle any 38 Special +P but I want to make sure.

ncspeedsix

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your SP 101! I would have to recommend the 130 grain Speer Gold Dots in .38 +P. A very good and dependable load. SP 101s (whether chambered in .357 or .38) will shoot .38 + P loads all day long. These guns are built like Sherman tanks.

ncspeedsix

Single-Sixer
Apologies I didn't read that closer the first go around. I would recommend the SP 101 in .357. That way you can use either .38 or .357 as you see fit.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
No problems at all with that ammo except if you are shooting a lot of 38's be sure to clean the chambers well or a crud ring will develop and prevent the seating and ejection of full length 357's and might actually increase the pressure. There are a lot of self-defense ammo choices and that is a good one, but a little light, in my opinion. :D

...Jimbo

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum,

The SP101 3 inch maybe the best smaller revolver on the market. You can shoot 38s as well as 357s. I would start with the 38 specials first. I like the proven self defense round in a 38 special round. That would be the 158gr SWCHP +P round. I use them and to me they will shoot accurately and have enough penatration to be effective. If you shoot a lot of 38 specials in your SP you will need to clean the cylinder well to get the lead deposits out. A suggestion at some point would be to try the medium power 357s availiable. One suggestion would be the Remington Golden Saber 125gr HP in 357. The recoil is not as severe as the full power rounds and should perform well in your SP101.

Good luck,
roaddog28

JC676

Bearcat
For a great .38 Special load, try Buffalo Bore's 158 gr +P LSWCHP. This load uses an extremely soft lead bullet so expansion will always occur, but yet it won't lead your barrel because the bullet is gas-checked. The published velocity (chrono'd from a 3" SP-101) is 1,147 fps. This is a stout load and is what I carry in my SP-101. It also hits at POA, as the little Ruger's are sighted in for use with 158 gr bullets. The lighter bullets will tend to hit lower than POA.

Jon

Any .38 Special load is safe in your .357 Magnum. When shooting .38 Special out of a .357 I have shot more Winchester SXT and Hydra Shok than anything else. Corbon and the before mentioned Buffalo Bore are potent but pricier and I don't see it as much. I have found as a compromise load that the Remington Golden Saber in .357 is a not quite full power load that is still pretty hot, but still fairly easy to control in the SP101 3" that I have. That is what I carry concealed.