#11 or #12 shot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zacharoo

Bearcat
Is there anywhere I could get a small say 2 or 3 lbs. of #11 or #12 shot . I need a few lbs. to make a snake load for my 45 Lc. I have aproblem with cotton mouths at my daughters house. She lives on 5 acres with a pond in the back part
There is sugar cane field at each side and back. I want to reload some 45 lc shot shells. But I don,t need 10 lbs. Will buy a small amount if any of you have some.

Zacharoo

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Or do what I do.

I just cut open a few old shotshells and rob the shot from them. It really doesn't take that many shells to load quite a few revolver rounds. The 7 1/2 and 8 shot I have used in the 44 really does a nice job.

Just an idea.

Jeff

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I'm not sure what the size of the bags was, but it seems I saw one of the smaller "snake shot" sized pellets listed on Ballistic Products Inc. website www.ballisticproducts.com

Personally, if I were loading snake loads in a .45 Colt, I might be thinking of filling 'em w/ #9s w/ intent to kill, not just aggravate, the snakes... ;)

And if you decide to go that way, PM me and ask me to check for you: I think I've got a pound or so of #9s lying about in the back of a closet that would probably only cost you postage...

Rick C

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
zacharoo, I would be pleased to send you a quantity of #12 shot as I found a bag full in my garage a couple weeks ago. (Why I have that stuff I don't really know!) I also made up some .45 Colt shotshells with it and the Speer plastic cups. Works very well though I have no snakes around here to try it on! Send me an email with your shipping address and I'll send you enough to last a while! Gerry
PS. The capsuls weigh +/- 190 gr. full of #12, so I used 6.0 gr. Bullseye and that's plenty strong for this purpose. Seat all the way to the top of the powder and crimp "lightly" or you may break the plastic if you try too tight a crimp.

zacharoo

Bearcat
Tried it makes a tigher pattern but you have to be within 5 to 6 feet for penitration. I will have to try some # 9 shot . I need to be further away than that. Any #9 out there. I would buy a few lbs.

Zacharoo

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
zacharoo, Sorry the #12 didn't work out. What did you use for a powder charge? I had tried 6.0 gr. Bullseye and thought it was pretty potent at least out to 10-15 feet, but of course that was only on paper. Pretty tight pattern though. Don't have any #9. You could pick up a box of 12 ga. skeet loads and cut them open. I've done that. The larger shot does work pretty well also and as you said more penetration. Good luck. Gerry

Latest posts