108 yds with iron sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Yesterday I set up my 8" steel swinger on our Silhouette range so I could get under the roof & out of the sun for testing at longer distance. It ended up being 108 yds ranged & I put a white USPSA target behind the swinger so I could see where the misses would go.
I again had my 3 old models, the 41 shorty, the 6 1/2" 44 flat top & the 45 shorty convertible. Just as I got set up someone pulled up behind me & just rolled his window down to watch. He had been over on the rifle range minutes earlier, dressed in full camo & shooting some kind of the latest & greatest all black Rambo racer!
First up was the 41 shorty with the 2 dogs front sight I'm liking so well. I figured I had the best chance of staying on steel with this gun because of the sight picture plus it shoots really good even for 74 year old eyes. I started out holding just under a 12 o'clock hold since I had been pretty much zeroed at 65.
I ran the 5 rounds & it looked like 2 rounds missed. "Camo" Rambo walked over and said, you hit low left. We always have a wind out of the SW & I didn't want to hold for wind on the first run, I wanted to see how much it effected me off of my 65 yd zero. I couldn't tell with the binoc's because there were some small holes in the target backer so I drove down so I could run the air conditioner for a minute!
You will see in the photo I hit it 4 out of 5 with 3 shots being about 3-4 inches down from the top & the 4th shot just hitting the bottom of the steel. That bullet also hit the dirt, that's why I thought I had 2 misses. You can see one shot low left into the white backer.
When I went back "Camo" Rambo told me he had a Redhawk 41 magnum that was Nickel.... I said, are you sure it's not stainless & he said no it's nickel & has a 9 power Leupold scope on it, a straight 9 power! He also said it had 27" of eye relief, yikes!! I could see this was going to get out of hand so I said I had to leave, I gathered up my other guns & left! Maybe today I can shoot the others, alone!

FRcVbxwh.jpg

uiaLugEh.jpg

u8dGPoYh.jpg

bYAJL3Vh.jpg

DbZAnkNh.jpg

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Looking good there!

Gotta love the "Camo Rambo's" out there. I usually just politely invite them to bring out their handguns & let's play at a "manly" distance! Seems to create all kinds of reversal comments! :D :D

sixshot

Buckeye
I was wearing a pair of my Croc's while I was getting tutored by "Camo Rambo". He told me he had recently moved here from Wyoming, had been a guide over there & was also a private contractor. Didn't notice what he was wearing for shoes, might have been high heels............

Dick

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
contender said:
Gotta love the "Camo Rambo's" out there. I usually just politely invite them to bring out their handguns & let's play at a "manly" distance! Seems to create all kinds of reversal comments! :D :D

Hi,

The story's probably 20 years old now, but still illustrates the "put your money where your mouth is" philosophy at work:

I used to shoot at a now defunct local range. A buddy shot handgun silhouettes there, too. Revolver class, 3 calibers, .22, .357 Mag and .44 Mag. He had "triplets" to do so: S&W 617, 686 and 629, all 8 3/8" bbls. A lot of LE types, including SWAT guys from one or two local agencies were also fond of the place.

One day the buddy and I were out, just fiddling about with some new loads for his 629. Four or five SWAT-types, camoed to the gills, came out and started doing the SWAT Dance. You know, the one where everybody's patting each other's backs and bums while bragging about how well they can shoot. Sometimes there's a chorus of "Hut, hut, hut!" included. Leaving a wet spot on the ground is optional.

They started at 50 yds, std 100 yd bullseye target, prone, with their tricked out AR-type rifles. Holes on paper didn't indicate any particular "skill level" at work, and my buddy announced just loud enough for them to hear that he could probably do as well with the .44 Mag. Then he proceeded to do not as well, but better!

Guys were looking at his target thru their spotting scopes, and next thing we knew, they were all packed up and leaving! Taxpayers saved a few dollars on ammo that day! But methinks Dick would have gotten a kick out of those guys!

Rick C

Great shooting. It is so nice being alone. Then some 'person' arrives and ruins an otherwise great day. Around my area we hear them called Rambozos. I have packed my gear and left both indoor and outdoor ranges when they arrive. I don't want to be a victim or witness to whatever the end result would be.