10" Ruger Flattop .44 Mag.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cherokee5425

Bearcat
I recently...ok, today picked up a 10" Flattop .44 mag Blackhawk s/n 233XX, It is wearing the original Checkered Hard Rubber Grips. Has a little bluing wear at the muzzle and a small spot on the barrel but otherwise very nice condition. Could someone give me an idea when it was made, how many in 10" and approx. how much is it worth. I appreciate everyone's help, Thanks in advance.

americal

Hunter
Close to 1,850.00 depending on finding who really wants one & how bad they got the fever--ruger :) I am not the expert here :!: someone will tell you more just give them time :D

mike722

Buckeye
great find! based on the serial number that gun should have shipped in early 1960. About 1500 10" guns produced according to a couple of reference manuals..in 95 percent or better condition, they fetch around 1500 plus dollars, give or take..

the RCA (Ruger Collector's Assn) and RENE (Red Eagle News Exchange) are great refences to anything "Ruger"..check them out if you have not already..

You can call Ruger Records (603-865-2424) and they can tell you when the gun was shipped and what model it shipped as..

flatgate

Hawkeye
I would doubt the gun was shipped with those grips since Walnut was listed as "original equipment" on all .44 cal. Blackhawks. A few have been seen with the "black plastic" grips but they are usually very early guns or the occasional "odd" example.

Of course, condition, condition and condition is paramount when discussing value. Having some cardboard helps, too! :D

44441495.jpg

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
cherokee5425. Send me a PM on your sn and I'll add it to the list of 178 10" .44's that I have sn's on (five in the 233xx range). Might even come up with a consecutive sn owned by a RF member!
Chet15

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Wow! I had to go check my numbers. I have a 6.5 inch Flattop just 4 numbers from yours. Nice gun.

cherokee5425

Bearcat
I know this is a dumb question and am sure some people will clutch their chest but is it safe to shoot modern .44 mag ammo thru the flattop? I probably won't shoot anything hotter than 17 grs of 2400 thru it.

stikshooter

Bearcat
cherokee5425":4zsm0a13 said:
I know this is a dumb question and am sure some people will clutch their chest but is it safe to shoot modern .44 mag ammo thru the flattop? I probably won't shoot anything hotter than 17 grs of 2400 thru it.

Yes,it is safe.I think the loads today are not as hot as loads back then :lol:

cherokee5425

Bearcat
Lately I've been thinking of getting a El-Paso Tom Threepersons Holster for this 10". I would like to have your opinions as to whether I should get a crossdraw or strong side? Thanks for your input.

Cholo

Staff member
7 1/2" or longer I go crossdraw. Here's a Tom Threeperson's for a 7 1/2" Colt Buntline .22. I can wear them strong side or crossdraw without ordering one specifically for crossdraw. I order them with the strap cut even with the side of the holster. You'll have one heck of a time drawing a 10" strong side unles you're a triple jointed gymnast :wink:

ElPaso.jpg

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I my youth, I carried, drew and shot a 357 FT 10" for many years from a strong side dropped loop holster. Never was a problem for me. Some of those draw-shoots were fast to take care of snakes too close for my likn'. The 10" shooters I have today are carried the same way.

RugerFT45Colt10002.jpg

The 357 in this shot is not a FT
Ruger10s001.jpg

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Got to agree with flattop44 on the slim jim holster. It can be carried strong side or cross draw and it was originally designed for those long colts and such. Gives it a bit of class when you carry the original stuff. Make sure to get one with a hammer loop so you don't dump her on her head.

Jody