10 round magazine for old Standard Model Ruger .22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

irishjack22074

Bearcat
I have a 1971 vintage Ruger Standard Model pistol which has a 9 round magazine as standard. Are there any manufacturers who make a 10 round magazine to fit this pistol? Will any of the current manufacture mags fit the old model pistol? TIA

welcome to the Forum....yes, you can pick up a MK II mag and reverse the button on the side to fit your older gun,, IF the button is reversed, for the early A54 frames and I'd guess yours is the later A100 frame,but never know over the years if anyone swapped out frames,,,,see that happen all too often,but I'd
bet your mag has the two slots ( both sides ) of the magazine chrome bottom, hold 9 shots , newer MK II holds 10 ..... you're good to go

Oh and if the bigger button is too wide for your frame , you can swap the button also, or trim the head of yours down in diameter........have seen some drag on the inside of the grip frame..........

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
irishjack22074 said:
I have a 1971 vintage Ruger Standard Model pistol which has a 9 round magazine as standard. Are there any manufacturers who make a 10 round magazine to fit this pistol? Will any of the current manufacture mags fit the old model pistol? TIA

All good advice above. Here's a few things you might consider when going to/with the Ruger Mark II magazine body. The Ruger Mark II magazine bodies have much better configured feed lips. The original magazine feed lips will not take too kindly to any sort of reshaping. Those feed lips are hard, and therefore brittle and will break easily.
Another thing to consider, the magazine release/latch. The original latch works just great with the original "solid base" magazines, but they can and will hang up in the gap between the base plate and the magazine body. While it's not a real big deal, it can be very annoying:

pqkA7xal.jpg

The cure is to replace the original magazine latch/release having the smaller radius that falls into that gap with an aftermarket release that has a larger radius on the working end. I recommend the Ranch Products extended magazine release for the early Mark pistols when the style of magazine is changed to the Ruger Mark II magazine style body and base plate. Now, that does include the 9-round magazines with the gray follower and base plate. Cost of the Ranch Products magazine latch is around $10.00 for blued and $13.00 for stainless steel.