10-22 Won't Fire With Ruger 25rd Magazine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oscar

Bearcat
Took the rifle to the range today and it would not fire with the Ruger 25 rd mag. The rounds would chamber and there would be a mark on the rim from the firing pin, but the round would not fire. I then tried the rounds in a Butler Creek and they fired. It seems to me that the Ruger magazine was slowing the bolt and the round was not fully seating. Kind of like a high primer. Does this make sense?

FiremanBob

Bearcat
A little polishing of the inside of the feed lips with 400-grit wet sandpaper might cure the problem.

If you can find the patience(being a little sarcastic here) to give the mag a chance to break in by loading 10 or less rounds for 100 shots or so, I'll bet the mag works fine from then on.

Precision32

Blackhawk
Check your firing pin protrusion. I have found the firing pins are too short in almost every 10-22 I've worked on. If you set the bolt with the rim cut up on your worktop, the firing pin will push up to it's maximum positive protrusion. The firing pin should extend 0.025" beyond the bottom of the rim cut. I shoot for 0.030" when I tune one up.