10/22 WITH AMMO PROBLEM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MARLIN 45 COLT

Bearcat
I just bought a S/S 10/22 and ran into an ammo problem.
Rem gold long rifle - Fed. lighting -Win Super X plated HV

The problem with all of them is the action ejects and reloads fine
BUT- the hammer does not get cocked--then I manually move the bolt and it will cock the hammer and fire--some on said to me to use CCi Mini Mags---what is the problem and what is the fix?

Thanks

toysoldier

Hunter
For any malfunction of a semi-auto weapon, especially a .22, the first step is:
Disassemble and Clean.
Whether bought new or used, it needs to be cleaned, then lightly lubed, peferrably with a teflon-based product like Break-Free or Tri-Flow. If purchased used, use toothpicks to get at all the corners and crevices during cleaning.
While you're at it, look at everything. Look for burrs, kinked springs, broken or bent parts, etc. Examine the magazine. Look for evidence of misalignment or interference.
If everythng looks good, reassemble and shoot. There's a good chance this will take care of things.

kyhareraiser

Bearcat
on't forget to take the magazines apart and clean them (factory 10 shot). some one had mine wound so tight that it could'nt throw another shell in the chamber because it made the bolt work so slow trying to eject the spent casing at the same time

MARLIN 45 COLT

Bearcat
I stripped and cleaned the rifle-It was fairly clean-I blasted the trigger assy and the bolt assy with Gun Scrubber-liberly- then oiled with Breakfree.-I went to the range with 7 types of .22 LR HV ammo. Same problem came up. I have 4 magazines and I used them all. No help. Blast I like the rifle-except when this problem came up. Any Ideas?

9x19

Hunter
It sounds more like a parts issue (worn hammer notch, sear nose, etc.), than an ammo problem. Was the gun purchased new or used?

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
If you can't get it figured out send it to Ruger. They will definately fix it up :D . Unfortunately you can't say that about all manufacturers. I had a Savage once that no matter what I did every 3rd shell would not eject. Tried everything. Eventually sold it cheap because Savage was no help. They sent me parts but it didn't help. I actually bought another of the same model and it has been trouble free!

Forester

Bearcat
Sounds like something is worn in the hammer or sear area. Maybe a spring? Should be a pretty easy fix for a gunsmith if you are not willing to try it yourself.