10/22 Target model not so accurate.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jazzpicker

Bearcat
I recently bought a new 10/22 target with a bull barrel and a nice laminated stock. It's really a good looking gun. I elected not to get mine in stainless.

After mounting and boresighting the scope, I added a sling, headed to the range hoping to see some small groups. I brought 3 types of 22 LR, mini mags, Ely primed Aquila and a box of bulk federal.

I started shooting at 25 yards. Of the 3 types of ammo, the mini mags grouped the best at 3/4" . Part of the 10 round group would be tight but flyers would always be present. My shooting? I put about 200 rounds through the rifle with no improvement.

I was starting to doubt my shooting skills until I changed over to a CZ rimfire rifle and all the groups closed up nicely. There is a lot of difference in the 2 guns with the CZ head and shoulders ahead of the ruger.

I called Ruger this morning to ask for advice and was not given anything that I needed to change to improve accuracy. I asked if the barrel needs a thousand or so rounds shot through it to break it in and was told that this isn't necessary.

I'll re-mount the scope and check the details and head back to the range. If the rifle doesn't improve, I'll send it back to Ruger and let them take a look.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
It needs break in for one and secondly it's not a match gun. It's still a regular production factory 10/22. Bull bbl ≠to match accuracy as many, the Ruger included, don't have match chambers. Trigger has some input to the outcome also. Do not expect 1 hole groups at 25 yrds as is.
Another thought...what scope is it? There's junk, ok, good and, well...you get the idea. ;)

It's too easy to blame the gun itself.

Snake45

Hawkeye
The scope could definitely be your problem, especially if you have parallax issues, which could definitely be the case.

If you ask "what's parallax?", there's a good chance that's your problem.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I have a stainless model and I too was very disappointed with it. I tried a large number of rounds including match grade and could not get the result I wanted. I put a green mountain barrel on and now it shoots very well. My trigger still is not the best but I can live with it.

DavidABQ

Bearcat
I feel your pain; I also have a stainless 10/22-T and it isn't as accurate as I would like.

I'm still exploring my options. I have considered selling/trading it off for a CZ.

hpman66

Hunter
Snake45":1p5tsd7v said:
The scope could definitely be your problem, especially if you have parallax issues, which could definitely be the case.

If you ask "what's parallax?", there's a good chance that's your problem.

I agree with Snake45

You should have a scope that is made for a .22(parallax free at 50yds) or have a scope that has an adjustable objective lens(A.O.). The ammo issue is also very important. Try as many brands as you can to find which one shoots the best. Hint, stay away from Rem. Thurnderbolts and Win. Xpediters if you can. Start with cheaper ammo to get your gun broken in and smooth out the burrs.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Jazzpicker,
Welcome to the forum.
I have shot well over a 100 squirrels with this rifle and it shoots as good or better than my 77/22's. I sight it in for 30 yds. with CCI Mini-Mags and it will put 10 in one ragged hole off the bench. If I miss with this rifle its not the gun!! My friend has one in stainless same story! Sorry to hear you are having problems.
Terry

003-6.jpg

Mr Jukebox

Bearcat
T.A. WORKMAN":1hqvr655 said:
Jazzpicker,
Welcome to the forum.
I have shot well over a 100 squirrels with this rifle and it shoots as good or better than my 77/22's. I sight it in for 30 yds. with CCI Mini-Mags and it will put 10 in one ragged hole off the bench. If I miss with this rifle its not the gun!! My friend has one in stainless same story! Sorry to hear you are having problems.
Terry

003-6.jpg

What kind of scope are you using?

hpman66

Hunter
T.A. WORKMAN":26zzr39a said:
MrJukebox,
Its a BSA Contender 4X16 .22 cal scope.

You can tell by the objective lens on Mr. Jukebox's scope that it is an AO scope. That way you can dial in the yardage that you are shooting at and not have any parallax problems to throw your point of aim off. I think that AO scopes are the way to go but they are higher in price than a regular .22 scope. Usually, anythinh over a 10x power has the AO Lens in most cases.

Snake45

Hawkeye
hpman66":1u2ywfea said:
You can tell by the objective lens on Mr. Jukebox's scope that it is an AO scope. That way you can dial in the yardage that you are shooting at and not have any parallax problems to throw your point of aim off. I think that AO scopes are the way to go but they are higher in price than a regular .22 scope.
AO is so valuable and important that I will no longer even consider buying a non-AO scope for any .22 whose accuracy is important to me.

The Simmons 22MAG 3x-9x 32mm AO scope is an excellent all-around scope for a field-grade .22 that will be used for hunting, plinking, training, etc. At about $75 (net sellers), I don't think you can buy more scope for less money. There are BETTER scopes available, of course, but at much higher prices.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I'm with Snake. At a minimum, I'll use the Simmons stuff. For a general plinker or a not specialized build that's likely what they get. The better builds will get a Burris.
As with any build, it's not just taking A, B and C, put 'em together and expect it to be a match gun. Nor is trying to compensate a lacking A with a high-grade C and ex[ect it to equal out.

jazzpicker

Bearcat
Mr Jukebox":1tikyg6h said:
T.A. WORKMAN":1tikyg6h said:
Jazzpicker,
Welcome to the forum.
Terry

What kind of scope are you using?

I was using a Simmons 3X9 non AO scope same model as I am using on 2 other "one hole" CZs. I am replacing the scope with an Burris before going to the range again and will report on the progress.

I am also considering a barrel if things don't improve. shipping it to ruger would be expensive ($97 as quoted by Fed Ex- ouch!!!) and I would rather spend that amount of money on a good barrel than on shipping.

I'll keep trying to make changes to diagnose the issue before spending more money.

Great forum and thanks for the welcome!

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
If you decide to ship the gun, you can ship long guns back to their "mother ship", as a non-ffl person, through the US Mail. Very inexpensive.... at least that's the way it is in Texas.

surv

edlmann

Blackhawk
hpman66":3jluvd3j said:
T.A. WORKMAN":3jluvd3j said:
MrJukebox,
Its a BSA Contender 4X16 .22 cal scope.
You can tell by the objective lens on Mr. Jukebox's scope that it is an AO scope. That way you can dial in the yardage that you are shooting at and not have any parallax problems to throw your point of aim off. I think that AO scopes are the way to go but they are higher in price than a regular .22 scope. Usually, anythinh over a 10x power has the AO Lens in most cases.

Tasco GA3932AGD

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Get some Wolf M/T or Wolf Match ammo and try again. The ammo you've used won't let ANY really accurate rimfire do it's thing. And for more trick rifles and 10/22 info than you can imagine try the Rimfire Central forum....JMO, Dennis (Who's rebarreled 10/22 w/12X scope will put Wolf M/T into pretty much into the same hole at 50 yds all day long and shoot "minute of squirrel" to 125 yds)

Latest posts