10/22 takedown considered concealed carry or not ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JEB308

Bearcat
Hey all, I thought I would ask the experts here if the 10/22 takedown would be considered,under the definition of concealed carry, a concealed weapon and would need a permit to carry it broke down in a backpack or would it be considered the same as a cased rifle. I plan on giving my teenage son one for his birthday and it got me to thinking how it was look at when toteing it in its takedown mode. So what do you think. I need some input on this.

wwb

Hunter
Considering the fact that it's incapable of firing until assembled, common sense would dictate that it is NOT a concealed weapon. That and a buck will get you a cup of coffee.... check your state laws to be sure.

cowboy1

Single-Sixer
JEB308 said:
Hey all, I thought I would ask the experts here if the 10/22 takedown would be considered,under the definition of concealed carry, a concealed weapon and would need a permit to carry it broke down in a backpack or would it be considered the same as a cased rifle. I plan on giving my teenage son one for his birthday and it got me to thinking how it was look at when toteing it in its takedown mode. So what do you think. I need some input on this.
I doubt you would have any trouble in Arkansas. Those folks have their head on straight regarding firearms.
Other states, not so much!! MHO
As said, check laws where you/he might be going.
CB1

Doc TH

Bearcat
The critical factor is the law in the state (or in some cases municipality) in question. In my own region, no problem in MD, PA, DE, VA, etc., but a big no-no in New Jersy, NYC, Chicago, Washington D.C. and a number of others.

No to the CC question... If you are concerned about the gun laws in your state, I would be more concerned with those pertaining to your teenage son having and carrying a weapon.

Don't get me wrong here.... I grew up carrying a gun of one sort or another... but times have changed and certain folks, I'll bet even the Arkansas, will freak out at the notion of a teenager being even close to a gun, long or short.

hiphi

Bearcat
yes ccp is for handguns only in idaho as well, but if he is under 18, well hmmm. but if the gun is in pieces it cant fire anyway... so yeah. depends on how much risk he wants to take and how well he can talk with the law...

JEB308

Bearcat
You all make very good points and glad for the discussion. I have yet to look up personally what AR law says but have been told by others here in the state that CCP apply to hand guns. I really got to thinking about the 10/22 and how someone in authority might look at the rifle place in a back pack. Either by me carrying it or my son while hiking, fishing or out riding 4wheelers. A lot of times LEO's have their own opinions of law and are not always correct. I can see how the rifle would be inoperative while broke down in a backpack and shouldn't be a concern. He'll be 16 on birthday and he's grown up handling guns, hunting, and shooting with me and he's also on the school trap team, so I have the utmost confident that he'll make good decisions concerning handling a firearm. It just makes no since to me that I can turn him loose in a 4 ton vehicle but yet It's taboo for a 16yr old boy to have a 22. I was just picturing him out and about with his gun in the backpack tossed behind the seat and someone try making a deal about it, but I now see that it's no more that a cased rifle just in two pieces. I guess the real question would be what's law on a 16 yr old in possession of a 22 rifle without an adult present. That will be what I will have to take in consideration at this point. Thanks for the input; I wish things were simpler like when I grew up taking my new gun to school and showing my buddies. Boy, how times have changed.

Latest posts