10/22 Take Down Scope Zero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rockymtnhi

Bearcat
I put scope on my 10/22 take down tactical. Will the scope hold it's sight in after I take it down and carry it in the back pack and reassemble it?

Dan in MI

Staff member
OK I am not familiar with the 10/22 TD. That makes the question where does it take down? Does the bbl and scope stay together or do they separate?

As my mind slowly wakes up I'm guessing the scope stays on the receiver the same as a non TD mounts. If that's the case you will probably lose zero. It may be close but not dead on.

Generally if the scope stays with the barrel you are good, otherwise not so much.

I have a takedown and was curious about that myself. From my experience, it kept zero, or near enough that I wouldn't be able to tell at .22 range.

When I took it to the range for the first time, I tightened the lock up per the manual, zeroed and put a few mags down range. Then I took it apart, put it back together, shot a full mag, then did it again three times. At the end of the day, with the exception of a few flyers, I had one ragged hole about 1 1/2" across at 25 yds.

Here is my set up:
1718024544560.png

1718024568414.png

s4s4u

Hunter
I put scope on my 10/22 take down tactical. Will the scope hold it's sight in after I take it down and carry it in the back pack and reassemble it?

I wouldn't trust it. But then, I don't trust QD scope mounts to return to zero either. I would have to take a few pokes with it to make sue it is on before I would attempt to hunt with it.

I got one, I read the manual, why? because its a darn good piece of information that comes with most products including firearms. What was amazing it speaks about the adjustable nut or barrel lock ring. Guess what I followed the manual and tightened it up. When to the range sighted it in knowing it won't shoot groups like my old Olympic class smallbore match rifle or my carbon barreled Bergara .22. But it was fine for a 300 dollar rifle using CCI mini mags. Then the test. I took it apart, put back together fired 5 rounds let rifle cool off a few minutes. Repeated that 2 more times. Each time checking the barrel lock ring. It remained tight. I never saw a shift in zero at 25 yds. I didn't photograph or keep that target but think the 20 rounds were about an inch group, there likely was a flier or 2. But after reading and being told they don't hold a zero, mine showed they will if you do as Ruger says. As others said take it out and test it and find out if it will hold a zero. Maybe yours won't, I am guessing it will. Tighten up the barrel lock ring, check it to make sure it stays tight.
Other common sense things, have a good scope, mount and rings that will not loosen up. Scope that holds a zero.

rockymtnhi

Bearcat
O.K. I tested out my mount set up. I have the Ruger factory Weaver style mount with quick detach Warne rings. I mounted a Lymann Alaskan 2 1/2 fixed power scope. I used a laser scope site in tool. Took the rifle down and put back together a couple of times and no change in zero. Quick detached the scope from the mounts and reinstalled and still no change in zero. Had to use Brownell's scope shims as the scope is 7/8" dia. And the rings are 1".

Latest posts