10/22 "Rifle" with Boatpaddle/Skeleton Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
I have two 10/22's with Skeleton stocks. One is a carbine and the other is a rifle. S/N for the carbine is 247-22106. S/N for the Rifle is 253-15956. As many of you might already know, Ruger is not answering s/n questions like they did. Therefore I am asking the question here - can any of you confirm the s/n range for the skeleton stocked 10/22 so I can have a reasonable assurance that they are legitimate? Plus, cannot find anything in the RENE to help me verify the rifle configuration versus the carbine.

Just as a side note, they are both stainless.

Any help would be appreciated.
Buddy

Since no one else has responded, I'll jump in. Your carbine is probably okay. It's close to the serial number of mine which I know is original. I suspect that your rifle has had the skeleton stock added. Does the rifle have a longer barrel than the carbine, like 22 inches, and have 'Rifle' on the receiver? If so, it was probably originally a WalMart Sporter (K10/22-22) that was "upgraded". Again, your serial number for the rifle is close to my WalMart Sporter. They originally came with a hardwood sporter stock; no barrel band.

You also might have a 10/22 Carbine where Ruger randomly put on a Rifle receiver or it could be a total FrankenRuger.

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
You may be correct. The rifle does say "rifle" on the receiver. It has a longer barrel. AND, there is not a barrel band, which struck me as odd and was a big part of the reason I wanted to ask someone.
Actually, I like the little rifle maybe even more than the carbine, and it would probably be a pretty good shooter. I have not taken the time to shoot it yet.

Thanks for your response. You gave me information that I did not have.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I have a question more than I am help. Is the stock on the "rifle" the exact same as the "carbine" stock or is it somewhat different? The part I am asking about would be the fore tip is it made to have a barrel band or not? If it is made to have the band than the stock has likely been added (which I believe to be the case) I do not think they made any with out the barrel band and the longer barrels but I have been wrong before. Pictures may help us to determine your true models. Thanks

There are a number of folks that contend the 10/22 carbine is more accurate without the barrel band. Removing it kind of "free floats" the barrel. So it may have been removed on purpose or maybe they just didn't have an extra barrel band. As collectormzornes indicates, a picture would be instructive.

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger made boat paddle 10/22 carbines, but not boatpaddle rifles that I am aware of. In fact, I believe the boatpaddle stock was gone by the time the longer barrels came out so would really like to see some pics posted of the rifle.
Chet15

b1buddy

Single-Sixer

Okay, I tried to get four pictures of the Rifle posted. If another view helps, let me know, but I am sure becoming convinced that it is a 'made up' rifle. I like it, but ----. For shooting, I have others.

Well, Crap! I just looked at the preview and they are all TOO small - again!!!!
Sorry. If you think you can help with more info with larger pictures, let me know and I will email to you.

Heres a Boatpaddle/Skeleton Stock that Ruger decided not to go with. They say there was only a case of 12 made and Ruger decided to go with black.
gray-stock.jpg

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
I kind of like that color. I have a total of 8 Skeleton/Boatpaddle stocked Rugers.

It appears this 10/22 Rifle is not factory, but the 10/22 Carbine probably is. The neatest ones are the 7.62x39 with the green inserts and the 264 that is the 1949-1999, 50 th anniversary model. The others are all neat, but these two are 'really' neat. But, come to think of it, that 6.5x55 with the frame starting to turn purple all over, well ------ You get the idea. I just like 'em! All of the 'em!!!

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
b1buddy said:

Okay, I tried to get four pictures of the Rifle posted. If another view helps, let me know, but I am sure becoming convinced that it is a 'made up' rifle. I like it, but ----. For shooting, I have others.

Well, Crap! I just looked at the preview and they are all TOO small - again!!!!
Sorry. If you think you can help with more info with larger pictures, let me know and I will email to you.

That you have there is a carbine stock put on a "rifle" marked 10/22 which more than likely was a Walmart Special which would be a stainless 22" barrel and the deluxe sporter style stock with checkered forend and grip area. However if you like it keep it that way and enjoy.