10/22 quality?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mag318

Bearcat
My biggest problem with the new ones concerns the finish. The powdered finish not only looks bad but flakes off. Whatever happened to bluing and anodizing?

If the general public would pay for nice bluing, I'm sure they would still be doing it. But if they did a nice bluing to these little rifles, and raised the price accordingly, then folks would start buying Chinese made rifles because they were cheaper.

WAYNO.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I doubt if you take a new 10/22 w/ the plastic trigger housing and start shooting it as much as possible that you'd be able to wear out that housing.

But IME plastic's weakness lies in the fact it dries out and becomes brittle over time. Then, one day, it cracks or breaks. How long will that take? I duuno. I have faith a new plastic housing will probably outlast me at this date, but judging by the "aged" condition of a 30 yr old plastic trigger housing on a Mossberg 500 compared to the "like new" condition of an aluminum housing on a 35 yr old Remington 870 that's been shot FAR more, I'd have far less of that faith were I 20 again.

Rick C

CraigC

Hawkeye
I understand the concern but there's a big difference between the cheap ABS plastic used in the old Mossberg triggerguards and the polymer used for the Ruger's trigger housing. Which is more akin to that used in pistol frames like the Glock. Those have been around for near 30yrs.

WAYNO":42aspw9d said:
If the general public would pay for nice bluing, I'm sure they would still be doing it. But if they did a nice bluing to these little rifles, and raised the price accordingly, then folks would start buying Chinese made rifles because they were cheaper.

WAYNO.

WAYNO,

I hear what you're saying and I fully agree. It looks like Ruger is following Remington in search of market share which is probably smart in today's economy. It doesn't sound like mechanical quality has suffered either.

However for me personally, they look like a cheap Remington and I would never buy one. Couldn't Ruger have made them look better? I'm also put off by the number of reports I've seen about problems with the 'finish'. I'm glad I got my 10/22s when they were real.

Highstandardguy":3m7yqqpt said:
However for me personally, they look like a cheap Remington and I would never buy one. Couldn't Ruger have made them look better? I'm also put off by the number of reports I've seen about problems with the 'finish'. I'm glad I got my 10/22s when they were real.

I own both, and I prefer the nicer, older ones.

But, ironically, the nicer ones don't get used, while the newer ones with the bed-liner finish are my travel companions.

WAYNO.

One thing about the new ones, you're not going to make them look worse by banging them around. :lol: Actually I've seen some new ones in the dealers racks with the finish already chipping off.

A

Anonymous

So what's the 10/22 partner... Would you say it's the MKIII or another like the Single Six.

If you would say the MKIII or MKII's or any pistol by Ruger for that matter,......then I would have to say any postol made by Ruger is a better Pistol...... then the Ruger 10/22 is a rifle. All that giberish means (In my Opnion) is that Ruger quality in their current 10/22's is marginal but there hand guns are still up to standards!

CraigC

Hawkeye
Let's face it, most 10/22 buyers could give a damn about the finish quality. It is and always has been a relatively cheap rifle. Seriously, what do folks expect for $200? Let us also keep in mind that while most of Ruger's other guns have risen an average of 25-26% since 2003, the 10/22's has only gone up 16%. Inflation from 2003-2010 is 19% so I think Ruger is doing a fine job of what they've always done, supplying working men with working guns. Anybody willing to spend an extra $100-$200 on one? In this age of the Walmart mentality cheap wins so probably most are not.

The 10/22 is still the King of the aftermarket and the most easily user-upgradeable .22 on earth and I think people forget that. Be grateful you don't have to pay a gunsmith to make it sing. If you have a problem with the finish on these rifles either start with an aftermarket receiver like Nodak ($130 shipped) or spend a day refinishing the receiver. If you care that much about the receiver finish you're probably gonna change everything anyway. The polymer trigger housings accept all the same aftermarket internal parts but the bonus is that they don't show dings like aluminum. I like my Charger's polymer trigger housing with all its Power Custom goodies just fine.

Latest posts