10/22 or Charger "bolt action " ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mmkt

Bearcat
This may seem like a silly request to many of you. However I live in a state ( PA ) that does not allow semi automatic rifles for hunring. IS there any way possible to convert a 10/22 to "non" semi automatic operation ? For the bolt handle to be operated manually to eject cartridges ? maybe by a heavier recoil spring ? Waste of time thinking about it or has anyone actually done it ?

CraigC

Hawkeye
Somehow I doubt that it will make much difference to the wildlife officer, who may not be very gun-saavy. You could always find a Savage Striker or Anschutz Exemplar if that's what you're into.

SledHed

Bearcat
It's easy to grow old of the Striker style, but i don't think there are too many out there with the bolt action set up. i've also done some <--(about an hours worth) of research with no luck.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Never heard on any such way to do what's requested. My suggestion...Single Six Hunter :)

mattsbox99

Hunter
Even if its operated single shot, its still illegal. Sort of like duck hunting and not having the plug in your gun, even if you only have three shells in it.

Canazes9

Bearcat
I think there is a way to do the conversion you are talking about, seems like I've read about it before. I see no reason why it would not be legal but you should check your state regulations to be certain. You are on the wrong forum to learn about 10/22 modification. Go to rimfire central and ask your question, somebody there can help you.

David

Oh Shoot

Bearcat
mattsbox99":3uaznks3 said:
Even if its operated single shot, its still illegal. Sort of like duck hunting and not having the plug in your gun, even if you only have three shells in it.

Yep, having a full auto indicator on an AK, even if disabled, comes to mind, too.

- OS

I'm not a hunter...but what are you hunting with a 10/22?

also, I would think it would be more cost effective to just buy a bolt or lever action 22lr than to permanently modify a fine rifle like the 10/22.

Nite Ryder

Bearcat
Don't try making a Charger type firearm from a bolt action rifle. It's against the law, just like it is against the law to make a charger from a 10-22. If you have an FFL license to manufacture firearms, then it's legal. To make your own Charger, you have to buy a pistol receiver, not a rifle receiver, for the build. Check with one of your local gun smiths.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Nite Ryder":2nlxgrbp said:
Don't try making a Charger type firearm from a bolt action rifle. It's against the law, just like it is against the law to make a charger from a 10-22. If you have an FFL license to manufacture firearms, then it's legal. To make your own Charger, you have to buy a pistol receiver, not a rifle receiver, for the build. Check with one of your local gun smiths.

Not entirely true. You can go pistol -> "handgun" so long as you go through the proper procedure and pay the tax stamp cost.

The reason I bought a Charger was it is the one I'm going to convert to open bolt full auto when TSHTF arrives... then the silly laws our government has made to protect us will be useless any way.

In the mean time it's fun to play with on slow shooting days.

Still would like to know what hunting there is in PA with 22lr... I guess squirrels and groundhogs maybe?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
"Still would like to know what hunting there is in PA with 22lr..."

Huh? Cottontails, tree squirrels, other recipe-prone small game.

Also furbearers. Also pests.

For the record, TSHTF will only occur the day after you win the lottery. As in, Nahgonnahappen. The real utility for a Charger is doing anything a 10/22 can do - while slung under your arm when walking. Think of the Charger as a Contender or Exemplar but with 9 follow-up chances.

Not2Kool

Bearcat
I have a proto-type "Bolt Lock" in one of my 10/22s. Not sure if you could convince someone
on the legal side because you pull the lever down after loading the chamber, fire the
round, release the lever and cycle the bolt, lock the lever and repeat. Forget to lock it
and you run semi-auto.