10/22 Mags Won't Drop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just bought a new 10/22 - my second one - and when I work the mag release the mags won't drop. I sometimes have to stick a finger in through the top to push them down. I tried all my mags - all of them are factory. They drop fine out of my other 10/22 but not this one. I cleaned the well and can't see where it's binding any.

Any ideas where the mags might be catching?

9x19

Hunter
Turn the rifle upside down, depress the mag catch, and slowly insert a magazine... if you have to push it out, you should feel it bind going in as well... You should be able to figure out where the tight spot is.

I'd leave it that way for a while and see if it gets better. It's got to be the stock.

My Charger has the same problem... stock is so close mags will not drop out... kind of a little aggravating but so far not enough to get out sand paper or a dremil too.

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
Most times it's simply dragging on the stock wood.

Take a look inside and see if there are any witness marks.

If so, remove the stock and do a little sanding so as to gain some clearance.

Seal the wood with a thin layer of varnish or Tru-Oil.

Thin being the key word here.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
I sanded the sides of all my mags. It works good if you don't care about what the mags look like. I don't....as long as everything works the way it should I'm happy.

Well I worked on my 10/22 last night and finally got the mags to drop nicely. I took the stock off and the mags still wouldn't drop so I knew it wasn't the stock. The mag well had just a little bight spot on the ramp where the rear stud on the mag goes. I sanded that area with some 320. After doing that the mags were easier to get out but still sticking. The front and back of the mag well was very rough. I sanded those areas with 320, cleaned it all up with RemOil and the mags drop easy now. I put the stock back on and it works fine. The rough faces on the mag well must have been the culprit.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.