10/22 mags clear to dyed !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
Just thought I would share my pictures of my dyed clear 10/22 mags. Easy to do with RIT dye and a little time at the stove.

APEXDUCK

rugerredmag.jpg

rugerredmags.jpg

They match my 10/22 build.

10-22build.jpg

Very nice job.

Could you give us some details- what dye solution/concentration you used with the Rit dye, time left in, did you strip the mags or dye them while they were assembled, etc.?

Inquiring minds want to know!

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
The secret to the custom mags is RIT dye. Available at most grocery stores in the laundry detergent isle. Pick your color then follow the following instructions:

Disassemble mags.

Take a 2 quart pot with about 1 to 1 1/2 qtrs of water and bring it just to a boil.
Add one table spoons of RIT dye and one table spoon of salt.
Remove pot from heat and add your disassembled plastic parts.

Takes about 4-5 minute for color to soak in. Check progress as you go. Long time equals darker color. Rinse parts with water and dry. You can re-dye the part if they are not as dark as you want.

Re - assemble mag and your good to go !

FYI, this dye will add color to a white sink. Be sure your wife is not home and that you have bleach on hand to clean up the mess.

APEXDUCK

reakin

Single-Sixer
Does the dye "set" into the plastic, or will you have red fingers after every trip to the range from it wearing off?

reakin

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
Dye sets into the plastic. Once it is pulled out of the dye bath and rinsed off it's in there for good. I have had no problem with it leaching out or problems with oil reacting to the dye. I just rinsed the parts well to make sure all the salt was removed from the plastic parts and re-assembled them. They look cool and makes it easy to color them different for different loads and you can still see how many rounds remaining in the loose mag verses the black ones where you can not see anything but the next round.

Kevin - I would not thing you could do anything to the black ones since the plastic is already black and the dye would not make a difference.

I have seen others color the clear mags blue, yellow, green, smoke and orange. Looks like them old candy suckers on a stick you had when you were a kid !

APEXDUCK

APEXDUCK":vjwej9po said:
FYI, this dye will add color to a white sink. Be sure your wife is not home and that you have bleach on hand to clean up the mess. APEXDUCK

Thanks, APEXDUCK, for the great tutorial!

Equally important, thanks for the warning on keeping the sink clean for "The Boss!"