10/22 keeps jamming

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kissfan113

Bearcat
My 10/22 continues to jam on me, not every shot, but at least one out of every clip, I've been using federal 22 LR shells from the bulk packs (550 rnd brick) I don't know if it's poor ammo or something with my rifle that needs addressed.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
i am assuming extraction and not ejecting problems.

Extractor needs tuning or replacement is the 90% solution. It can be worn, gummed up, or hitting the barrel.

Clean chamber is the overlooked one. Because you can't clean from breech the chamber tightens up to where the cartridges stick.

The little "C" clip that retains the hammer spring can cause problems also. The opening of that clip should face the top of the gun...otherwise it can cause problems.

If it is none of these apply you simply need a $10 tuned extractor from Volquartsen

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Withoput knowing exactly what the "jam" is, it's hard to diagnose. I'd look at the extractor first though. Happen with all mags?

kissfan113

Bearcat
happens with all 5 of my magazines, the shell is extracted from the chamber fine, just ends up in what my autoloading pistol buddies refer to as a stove pipe jam... casing is pulled and jams the mechanism.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
The only "new" 10/22 I ever bought did that at first. I put a couple of drops of oil on the bolt, and kept on shooting. It runs fine now. Sometimes the parts just have to wear together to get them to work properly.

You might try switching to CCI mini-mags for a few hundred rounds (assuming this is a new gun). Mini-mags have a bit more "oomph" to them.

kissfan113

Bearcat
might be worth a try, the rifle is a few years old now, i bought it the day i turned 18 and i'm turning 23 in just a few days, so I guess it makes it 5 years old... man how the time flies, I havn't shot it all that much though, may have put 200 - 300 rnds through it over the 5 years I've had it.

cr25ovet

Bearcat
had the same problem with my 10/22 jamed all the time. was brand new. used different ammo but still the same problem. just put in a new extractor and it works fine now. the one that came with the gun was worn on one side(and the gun was new)

Pinecone

Blackhawk
kissfan113, Get yourself a Volquartsen "Exact Edge Extractor" and spring from Brownell's # 930-000-010AB, install it in your 10/22 and say "goodbye" to your jamming problems!........................Dick :wink:

Bear Flag Boy

Bearcat
Would this apply to the Magnum as well? My little used 10/22 magnum wont pull the spent cartrige from the barrel and the spent cartrige must be pulled out manually as it has expanded some when fired. Using CCI ammo and worked fine at first now this cartridge sticking is bugging the hell out of me.
Don't think I'd need to go gun smithing with a near new rifle!!!
Thanks for any other clues
Jim

9x19

Hunter
In a blow-back action like the 10/22, the build up of gas as the cartridge is fired forces the case out of the chamber, and opens the bolt... the extractor is more for holding the case against the bolt face so the ejector can kick it out.

Sounds like your extractor needs attention... you can reshape the factory one or buy a replacement.

Snake45

Hawkeye
kissfan113":hwhsw7tx said:
My 10/22 continues to jam on me, not every shot, but at least one out of every clip, I've been using federal 22 LR shells from the bulk packs (550 rnd brick) I don't know if it's poor ammo or something with my rifle that needs addressed.
It's the ammo. Recent lots of that Fed Bulk, after years of utter reliability, have been very spotty. Lot of underpowered rounds in many lots. It's the price you pay for the cheapest ammo available. You'll have to pay several cents more per round to make the trouble go away.

HaroldB

Bearcat
I've got two 10/22's (both 22lr). The SS one is 10 years old and never jams. The blue one is 2 years old and jams constantly.

Same ammo, same four magazines.

I'm going to change the extractor on the blued one.

BAM58

Bearcat
Hey Folks,
I hate to wear this one OUT I but I will anyway. I have a Ruger 10/22 carbine bought for me when I was ten years old at a flea market in Medford Oregon. I am 53 now. I had not shot it for probably 30 years until this year. I had gone into Wal Mart and bought a brick of the CCI Stingers rated at 1300 yrds or so. I had jamming problems at the indoor range here in Oceanside CA where I live from the get go. I had there Gunsmith a really cool guy go through it and clean it for $45 and got it back with the same problem. Were talking about a rifle that was broken in decimating the ground squirrel population at Copco lake in Northern CA due to the outbreak of the bue bonic plague 43 some odd years ago. Jams and the like just didn't occur and the ruger has been following me around so Cal where have lived since I was a child. From this site I did change out the extractor which seemed to help a bit but after putting on a TAPCO T6 stock on it I hit the range today with worse problems. I did try some of the CCI 1100 yard ammo and it caused me more than a headache. I realize the gun is a little old but is there anything else anyone can recommend aside from buying a new gun? Mine was $45 out the door back in the ice ages.
Thanks, Brent
Oceanside, CA

I would not give up. With a family heir loom like that I would just consider it a challenge.... eventually you will get it fixed and then that will be the ultimate satisfaction.

What I would do next.... polish the chamber where the round goes....maybe have another or the same gunsmith look at it again.

Replace the extractor.

Replace the bolt spring..

Bam58.... it might be better if you start this as a new thread... you might get more responses from that.

donw

Bearcat
in the hi desert of southern california between te
do yourself a favor and drill a hole in the rear of the receiver for access to clean from the rear.

i did that and use a .22 cal bore brush soaked with cleaner of your choice and a drill motor to keep the chamber clean and use only steel lipped ruger magazines; solved my problem

BAM58

Bearcat
I will start a new thread thank to the reply. If the Ruger repeated lik this whacked out cordless keyboard I'd have no gun problem
B

BAM58

Bearcat
I had my guy completely cleaned by the gunsmith who works out of the shootiing range I go to. I've decided to replace the firing pin and do a "spriing" rebuild as in replace a lot of the springs. The thing about it is this gun when first purchased 40 years ago never jammed. I am talking thousands of rounds and I just kept it clean as required.
Its now become my project. I went from building high end computers to one goal of getting the old girl shooting correctly,
Thanks,
Brent

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Winchester 555 and Winchester 333 is crap ammo unsuitable for semiautos as far as I'm concerned. Maybe OK for bolts or revolvers. Lots of duds, failures to extract, etc. CCI Minimags, AM22, seem to work OK.

Precision32

Blackhawk
Assuming a clean chamber your most likely problem is the extractor.

Pull the bolt fro the action and with the bolt in hand, slip a cartridge case under the extractor. Watch the extractor as you do this. The hook of the extractor should cam out a minimum of 0.010" to a maximum of 0.020" as you do this.

If you don't get this it is a simple fix requiring only a small flat file with one edge "safe" (no teeth). Remove material where shown in the image in red. This will move the tip of the hook in. If the spring load of the extractor pushes the bolt from battery remove metal where shown in black.

74d3e7b5-a012-469e-94d9-799e227eaddf.jpg
[/url][/img]

Someone commented about the bottom corner of their extractor being rounded and "worn out." They are made that way by design. Many times extractors with sharp corners on the bottom of the extractor will fail to feed as that sharp corner catches in the side of the cartridge case as it tries to get past the hook.