10/22 Green Mountain Barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A few years ago, I bought a Green Mountain barrel for one of my 10/22's. I finally got around to shooting it today. It must be 18 inches, stainless bull barrel. It's pretty heavy, but, shoots very nice. I'm impressed.

I don't know if the .920 bull barrels shoot better than the factory tapered barrels, but I seem to have good luck with them. This rifle needs a better scope. Nothing too powerful however, I was shooting at 50 yards, but the Tasco scope on it now has scratches in the glass, and seems to be out of focus. Then I think the gun would shoot even better.

I don't remember what I paid for this barrel, but I see they are cheaper than other aftermarket barrels. BUT! They seem to be very good.

recumbent

Buckeye
My 10-22 Green Mountain blued bull barrel shoots great. I've had it a long time. I have a 6-24 power scope on it.
I also have a GM 22inch fluted barrel on my Ruger 22LR precision rifle. The factory barrel was terrible 3 in groups at 50 yds the GM barrel shoots 15 shot in 3/8" at 50 yards. I'm pleased with the GM barrels.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm going to find another, enter scope to put on it.

That's the one downside to aftermarket barrels, very few of them offer iron sights. Well, and I don't think any of the .920 barrels have iron sights on them. But I could be mistaken.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
There's no reason as to WHY iron sights can't be added to any 0.920 diameter barrel. Placement may be a little tricky if the barrel is "spiral fluted", but could still be done:

9KszX2hl.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
It's very possible your scope just needs to be focused. This is easy to do.

If you wear glasses, decide if you want it focused wearing your glasses or not. This DOES make a difference!

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Kevin said:
A few years ago, I bought a Green Mountain barrel for one of my 10/22's. I finally got around to shooting it today. It must be 18 inches, stainless bull barrel. It's pretty heavy, but, shoots very nice. I'm impressed.

I don't know if the .920 bull barrels shoot better than the factory tapered barrels, but I seem to have good luck with them. This rifle needs a better scope. Nothing too powerful however, I was shooting at 50 yards, but the Tasco scope on it now has scratches in the glass, and seems to be out of focus. Then I think the gun would shoot even better.

I don't remember what I paid for this barrel, but I see they are cheaper than other aftermarket barrels. BUT! They seem to be very good.

You know better than any others what you're up against, and some of the Tasco scopes can indeed be "low end" in quality, with easily scratched plastic lenses. It sure won't hurt, and just may solve your problem, if you do invest in a better scope that fits your budget.

Thanks for all the replies!

I do need a better scope. But it's hard to balance a gun budget with all other everyday expenses. My wife would like to eat :D and my daughter needs a new pair of shoes and some books. Plus I'm trying to buy the pieces for an AR, so a new scope will have to wait a while.

But no problem, it's all for fun anyway.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Maybe if Pelosi would get off her "wrinkled up 'ol butt" and sign that next stimulus package, that would help you and your family, along with many others, out a bit more.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
Put this together years ago,Green Mountain fluted barrel,Volquartsen trigger,extended magazine release,old El Paso Weaver V 9 scope,at 50 yds it will shoot "anything" in one hole.

My opinion; no real need to go high end with a scope for a 10/22. 22lr has such low recoil and 100 yards is stretching it ... So, a low budget 1-9 power will do what you want... but I would suggest the largest front lens possible to collect as much light as you can.

I too have a 10/22 with a Green Mountain barrel, bull barrels in general shoot much much better than the factory barrel. with half way decent ammo that Green Mountain will shoot a group the size of a dime at 50 yards from a rest. But part of that equation is fixing the awful trigger on the factory 10/22.

Thanks for all the replies.

But part of that equation is fixing the awful trigger on the factory 10/22.

You know Blume, I agree the factory trigger on the 10/22 is pretty bad. But this rifle is older. I bought it new back in 1998. It's got the metal trigger housing, and it's actually not that bad of a trigger. I've shot it quite a bit, so it's been worn in some from that.

But I have thought about replacing the trigger. On my other 10/22 I have a Kidd two stage trigger, set at 6 ounces (3oz and 3oz. each stage.) Now that is just a wonderful trigger.

JStacy

Blackhawk
22's like what they like. I have a Remington 541S that shoot Federal auto match like high expensive match ammo. You never know what one will like and testing to see what they like is the fun part.

Latest posts