10/22 firing pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

As an owner of 5 diffferent rugers, I went out and bought a 10/22 carbine to take to a local Appleseed. I fired about 50 rounds thru it and took it home, cleaned it and put on the new Tech sights (nice). I did notice some of the black paint coming off the inside of the receiver, but wiped it off and went back to the range to sight in the new toy. Click! The firing pin was stuck in the bolt. Apparently the paint chips had melted and then solidified on the firing pin freezing it in the bolt. I had to scrape this plastic looking gook off the pin (more like a mini bar) with an exacto knife. Once cleaned up the rifle funtioned OK. I guess I'll need to scrape off the rest of the paint off the inside of the receiver. Anybody ever widen the pin slot in the bolt? Mine looks narrower than another 10/22 bolt bought at Wally World about the same time with, by the way, no paint inside the receiver. I appreciate all the info that this site provides and am more of a reader than a poster.

Robin

LarryH

Single-Sixer
Hi Robin,
I have the same problem with my newest 10/22 and the paint peeling inside the rcvr is a very common problem. Check out RimfireCentral.com for a wealth of info on these little rifles! I wouldn't widen the firing pin slot on the bolt but would polish the sides of the pin. If yours is like all the rest of the newer 10/22s then there are lots of machine marks on it and probably some rough edges as well.
God Luck,
LarryH

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
LarryH":5y0qc3bv said:
I wouldn't widen the firing pin slot on the bolt but would polish the sides of the pin. If yours is like all the rest of the newer 10/22s then there are lots of machine marks on it and probably some rough edges as well.

Hi,

Amen to that!

The bolt slot will smooth out w/ use, but you don't want to remove metal you can't put back on! Firing pins are cheap enough to replace if you mess one up... a very fine stone, or some 600 wet/dry paper w/ a drop of oil on it are my choices for deburring all the rough edges you can get to. I keep a TINY bit of oil on the firing pin, too.

Even after initial deburring, the firing pin may benefit from inspection and possibly a little more attention later. The face at either end can get slightly peened over from impact, creating a new "burr," so a bit of extra polishing may be helpful.

Rick C

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
From my experience, what you will find is that the more you shoot it, the less problem you will have. Sounds obvious, doesn't it. Part of that is because, if you oiled it, there is some gunk forming every time you shoot. The oil attracts the powder residue and it cakes in. - - Just wipe it out a few times and you will find that it will get dirty, but not give you any problems, once the oil is wiped out.