10/22 extractor got knocked out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mr. Boom

Bearcat
I have never seen this happen before. I was shooting Eley sport, and they started to hang up a bit and get stuck between the bolt and chamber on extraction, because it was about 45 F, and suddenly they stopped extracting altogether. I looked, and the extractor, spring and plunger were all laying on the bench. I put it all back together but was afraid to shoot anymore out of it today. Has anyone else had this happen? How likely is it that it will happen again?

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I've never heard of it happening & would think you may need a new extractor, go ahead & get a Volquartzen Exact Edge Extractor, You'll be happy you did BTW..
Your also very lucky to have found all the parts too..
If you had lost them a phone call to Ruger would get you new ones sent to you for FREE..
BTW they will send you an extractor, spring & detent if you call & tell them about your troubles..
The VQ extractor is just tighter fitting & I have seen a jamomatic 10/22 cured by just changing to the Volquartzen Extractor..
They only cost $12-$15 & worth every penny..
Your trouble was probobly caused by gummy wax coating that alot of 22s use & builds up in the chamber, also the cut out were the extractor rests may have carbon or lead buildup..
Good Luck!!
Gary

slowhand

Single-Sixer
I've only had one extractor go missing.It was on a 10-17M2 conversion and had a out of battery explosion.It's the only time I've ever had one come out.Sorry I can't help you more.Slow

Mr. Boom

Bearcat
Your trouble was probobly caused by gummy wax coating that alot of 22s use & builds up in the chamber

Well i had heard that the lube on Eley Sport is really sticky when it is cold outside. The rounds getting extracted started getting stuck between the bolt and chamber face.

I inspected the extractor and can't find so much as a mark on it from it's little trip. I will check the channels and make sure there is no gunk in them.

Snake45

Hawkeye
berettapistols":3pnvvt8r said:
The VQ extractor is just tighter fitting & I have seen a jamomatic 10/22 cured by just changing to the Volquartzen Extractor..

Gary
The reason it works better is that it has a sharper "hook" angle cut into it.

You can modify a factory 10/22 extractor the same way if you're handy with a file. (I've done it.) Cost: $0.00. (But you don't get to brag about your cool aftermarket VQ extractor to your friends, sorry.)

rifleman51

Bearcat
berettapistols":19gbiqch said:
I've never heard of it happening & would think you may need a new extractor, go ahead & get a Volquartzen Exact Edge Extractor, You'll be happy you did BTW..
Your also very lucky to have found all the parts too..
If you had lost them a phone call to Ruger would get you new ones sent to you for FREE..
BTW they will send you an extractor, spring & detent if you call & tell them about your troubles..
They only cost $12-$15 & worth every penny..
Your trouble was probobly caused by gummy wax coating that alot of 22s use & builds up in the chamber, also the cut out were the extractor rests may have carbon or lead buildup..
Good Luck!!
Gary

+ 1 on the Volquartzen extractors. They are the best out there, they really get under the rim of the cartridge.
If you have had the front surface of your bolt cut for minimum headspace, the Volquartzen extractor will cure the failure to feed problems that you will have if you use the stock extractor. The stock extractor can be modified to work with the cut bolt face, but for the price, why bother. I always recommended the Volquartzen extractors to all my customers.

Best Regards, John K