10/22 build me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Get a scope with adjustable objective, so you can get the parallax set for the short Appleseed range (25m).

Install sling swivels and a sling and you're good to go. The gun right out of the box is accurate enough to clean the Appleseed short course. Oh, you might want to pick up two or three extra Ruger factory mags, that will same you some hustling on the line.

Some will recommend an aftermarket sear or sear/trigger. IMHO this is counterproductive for Appleseed because you will end up with a trigger pull much better than any real-world battle rifle. Learn to shoot the factory 10/22 trigger and you'll easily be able to shoot any AR, AK, M14, etc you might want to use when the SHTF.

I'm not sure but I don't think a scope is the way to go with an Appleseed 10/22...

I think you need tech sites and extended 10 round mags.
(these are the two best suggestions I've heard of so far)

22WRM kind of defeats the purpose of using a 22 at an appleseed, which is to use less expensive ammo.

And Snake is right about the trigger pull.. you don't want a combat rifle to have too soft and light of a trigger pull.... bad things can happen to your buddies in front of you.... enough bad things are going on anyway to add a round to the back of the head is not good.

This reminds me, I need to check on the Appleseed projects in my neck of the woods for the next year.... I had hoped to make one this year... but things didn't work out.

Snake45

Hawkeye
blume357":3vu7id03 said:
I'm not sure but I don't think a scope is the way to go with an Appleseed 10/22...

I think you need tech sites and extended 10 round mags.
(these are the two best suggestions I've heard of so far)
I agree but the OP asked specifically about a scope so that's the way I went. I'd much prefer to shoot the Appleseed with good peep sights than a scope--you'll learn more--but keep in mind that there are people whose eyesight just won't let them use irons of any kind anymore.

DavidABQ

Bearcat
I have done a couple of Appleseeds and while a scope isn't necessary the stock open sights on a 10/22 are not the best way to go either.

If you are set on a scope for reasons other than Appleseed then go with a nice fixed 4x or a 2-7x and keep the power ring on 2x.

Get yourself a G.I. web sling. Google M-14 web sling and it should come up.
Alternatively you can go to the Appleseed website store and purchase one.
http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.co ... 0&cat_id=0

You will spend a fair amount of time on the ground so some sort of ground mat/ shooting mat is suggested. Definitely do yourself a favor and get a set of elbow pads, trust me on this.

Don't forget to bring lunch with you and something to drink during the entire day.

Have fun!

ed k

Bearcat
Thanks for info I havs stock 10/22 I'll put peep site on and looked at a stainless target 10/22 last nite think I'll go with it.