10/22 bolt face rough

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Win1892

Bearcat
The bolt face on one of my 10/22 rifles looks like it was machined with a cutoff saw. What do you think I should use to smooth it?

hpman66

Hunter
Win1892":371dn5co said:
The bolt face on one of my 10/22 rifles looks like it was machined with a cutoff saw. What do you think I should use to smooth it?

If you smooth it up too much and you could make the head space too short and you could get slamfires. The .22LR head spaces on the rim. If you are not familiar with machinist work, I would say that you should not attempt to do the job yourself. Call Ruger and tell them about it.

SCHEMATIC AND EXPLAINATION

Scroll down the the ralfus reply on headspace and you'll see what I am talking about. Also, I have heard that .0425" is the absolute minimum for headspace, especially on semiautos where there is more wear on the bolt face.

PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO JIM KEENAN'S REPLY(SLAMFIRES) ON 22 SEMIAUTOS BELOW RALFUS'S POST.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4534581

Win1892

Bearcat
Used a fine file on the bolt face, then polished with a wheel and grey compound. Took off .004" of material, leaving a headspace of .047.

100% function with all ammo.

Examined chambered but unfired rounds looking for signs of firing pin slamming, but found none.