10-22 barrel band accurizing tips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DaveinWV

Bearcat
I just bought a stainless 10-22 with a synthetic stock. Any accurizing tips? Mine has a polymer barrel band. I installed a Tuffer Buffer and have a Volquartsen hammer kit coming. As it is now, I can pick the rifle up by the trigger with it cocked and not trip it. I installed a hammer kit in another 10-22 with good results.

DaveinWV

Bearcat
Good question. I haven't shot it yet BUT, the heavy trigger can't help. I've never had a carbine version with a barrel band.

Understand. Admittedly, I'm a 'tinkerer' and not a dedicated rimfire shooter. Years ago, I bought numerous 10-22 parts from various sources. The funny thing is I've assembled and swapped parts back and forth on a bunch of 10-22's and so far, haven't concocted a 'doggy shooter' out of all those parts conglomerations.
Regarding the barrel band: it may cause issues or maybe not. I try to find one that fits w/o a lot of force yet snugs up on the stock w/o pinching the barrel. Consider it more of a 'support' to prevent stress on the barrel wedge rather than a 'clamp' holding the barrel against the fore end and you'll be fine.

I have been fiddling with my 10/22 on and off since I brought it home. The Ruger BX trigger was the first accessory and helped tighten the groups a little. I read an article somewhere about optimum barrel length and the research determined around 16" was best so I found a youth barrel on eBay and installed it. Groups again seemed a little better. Then I was thinking it would be cool if the 10/22 was in a Houge over molded stock so it would match my early Mini 30. That seemed to improved groups even further probably because it eliminated the barrel band. Or maybe, just maybe the groups kept tightening because of all the extra bench practice shooting I was doing after every modification. Either way it's still not a dedicated 22 target rifle but anything I want to shoot with a 22 at 50 or even 100 yards will get perforated. If i have my glasses and access to a solid bench and it's not too windy...😀

Given equal optics, I haven't seen much accuracy diff from various barrel lengths. I've test fired a 10.5" Charger barrel and numerous 16?" 10-22 barrels with very similar results. There may be an optimum length for ammo performance but not for accuracy--even down to 4". What I have found is: in the shorter barrels, I got better accuracy from sub-sonic ammo especially at longer ranges.

DaveinWV

Bearcat
I've watched a few videos about accurizing. Some made sense. I used aluminum HVAC tape to build up inside the stock to remove movement much like bedding does. I saw one video the guy wrapped electrical tape two wraps here the barrel band covers the barrel. I have added a pressure point in my Win. M70 featherweight Winlite stock near the end of the stock by placing an O-ring around the barrel. That really tightened groups for me. If I'm not happy using the tape I can remove it. I know the usual thing to do is one thing at a time. I'm not patient enough. :rolleyes:
Thanks to all for your input.
Blessings, Dave

krw

Blackhawk
Chasing different levels of accuracy can get expensive in a 10/22. What level of accuracy do you want?? That can be an expensive question!!
A good bolt action will wear a highly modified 10/22 out. Look at Lapua Midas L ammunition. Top fuel dragsters dont run on 10% Ethanol blend. Jus sayn. Enjoy a 10/22 for what it is then rig up a bolt for high levels of accuracy

DaveinWV

Bearcat
I have a 10/22 that out shoots my Win 52 reproduction sporter. The 10/22 was bought off the used gun rack at my local gun store. It doesn't have a bull barrel or any target upgrades. I want minute of squirrel at 35 yards.

Reactions: krw

DaveinWV

Bearcat
I got to the range today. I have shimmed the inside of the stock with HVAC aluminum tape to remove any excess space between the stock and receiver, installed a polymer shock buffer pin, installed a Volquartsen trigger kit, and wrapped electrical tape two wraps around the barrel where the barrel band will cover it. I torqued the receiver screw to 14 in/lbs. I shot 10 rounds of bulk high speed ammo and then started shooting CCI standard velocity ammo. I sighted in at 35 yards (measured). I played with the torque and 14 in/lbs shot the best. I got nickel size six shot groups when I did my part. I honestly believe the rifle shoots a bit better but it's what I can do with it.
Thanks to all for the input.
Blessings, Dave