10/22 Autobolt Mod

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbzdel

Bearcat
I completed the auto bolt mod on one of my 10/22 rifles, but I noticed something weird after the fact which I am not sure if I screwed something up or its normal.

I took some pics to point out what I mean.

This is a picture before of the bolt stop, this is with the bolt closed.
wrcsra.jpg

Then I modified the bolt stop for the auto bolt mod and this is what the bolt stop looks like now with the bolt closed:
33pa91l.jpg

I double checked that every was installed correctly and it is, everything is also functioning correctly (including the auto bolt mod), so is this normal? I was just not sure because no write up I seen mentioned the bolt stop changing positions.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I think you have the slide stop too low & it missed the pin that also holds the mag release in..
I can see the notch in the 2nd pic & you shouldn't be able to see it..
Here's a pic from the Ruger PDF that shows the relationship of the parts..
You'll need to remove the rifle from the stock, push out the two pins that hold the trigger gaurd to the reciever, then just push the pin back threw just enough to give clearance for the slide stop to be pushed up just enough to push the pin threw the slot..
I've done this MOD on my 10/22 & Love it..
I always lock my bolt open after I finish a magazine & when I insert the fresh mag it's great to just pull back on the bolt to release instead of fumbling with both hands as it comes factory..
Gary
1022triggergaurdassembl.jpg

cbzdel

Bearcat
No I am positive I got that lower pin though the hole, that hole is elongated so it moves back and forth on that hole.

I just noticed if I push on the slide stop it will click up into place and look like it did before the mode but once I lock the bolt and release it it says in the lower position until I click it up.

make since?

edit: I made a decent radius on my grind but maybe I did to much or not enough, or maybe it not smooth enough and its catching??

berettapistols

Blackhawk
After looking at my 10/22 I found that some of the pin slot is visable from the bottom when the bolt is open & slide stop engaged..
I think that maybe you don't have the spring tentioned on the leg of the bolt stop..
I went to youtube & found several videos on the topic & found one that shows what's going on the best..
I also figure if there's any sharp burrs left from the dremel work this could also hinder the bolt stop from moving down at the top & up at the bottom, make sure that the area were you removed the V shape notch is smooth on both sides = No Burrs..
Here's the Video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsclYouRX3M
Good Luck & Let us know how it turned out..
I realy love this mod on my 10/22..
Gary

cbzdel

Bearcat
actually in that video he puts the bolt forward after the mod and it looks just like the picture I posted, so maybe it is normal?

I will get a screen shot in a second..

Here we go..

2nrenes.jpg

compared to:

33pa91l.jpg

it looks the same to me..

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I figured it out!!
It matters how much meat is dremeled out of the slot @ the top to were the bolt stop sits in the trigger housing when under the springs tention
On mine I removed just enough for it to slide bye but the bolt stop to fit almost flush up to the top of the trigger housing..
I cold blued mine when I was finished & the part looks untouched..
I do have the bobby pin trigger return spring + overtravel adjustment in the trigger gaurd & a tapped magazine button with an allen screw & a small piece of tubing..
If your bolt stop is working then there isn't a problem..
Here's a few pics I just took of mine apart & reassembled..
Gary
1022boltstopi.jpg

1022boltstopii.jpg

1022triggergroupi.jpg

1022triggergroupii.jpg