10/22 Accuracy Tune

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gster

Single-Sixer
Has anyone watched and tried the 10/22 tuning method on You Tube posted by James? It's pretty simple and he says his stock rifle is as, if not more accurate than a match barreled rifle. If you haven't seen it, the process consists of removing the barrel and action from the stock. Giving the gun a complete and thorough cleaning and then giving the barrel 2-3 wraps of electrical tape right where the barrel band mounts to the gun. Re assembly by tightening the stock to gun first and then re installing and tightening the barrel band.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Humm . . . . . Sounds a lot like the opposite of free floating the barrel.
That said, the layers of tape may allow the barrel to move ever so slightly against
the stock.

Big advantage in that is it would be easy to reverse if it doesn't do anything positive.

Try it and let us know. :D

P.S. Second thought:
If his barrel was really dirty, that alone would make a significant improvement. :wink:

While that might work on some rifles, I don't think it would be a "universal" fix.

"P.S. Second thought:
If his barrel was really dirty, that alone would make a significant improvement. :wink:"
Quite possible.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
While that might work on some rifles, I don't think it would be a "universal" fix.
Agreed. He lucked out and got an unusually good barrel.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Agree with fixing the terrible triggers on stock 10/22s. Mine felt like a rocky 7.5 pound break.

Sent it off to Brimstone. Came back with a 1.75 pound crisp break. Accuracy naturally improved significantly...

Johnnu2

Hunter
+1 on Brimstone.....
I got the 'high-end' package with all their options....
I like it..... of course, I like the Ruger BX trigger too..... go figure
I also spent the time (rather difficult) and glass-bedded and free floated (don't know why, guess I just had a lot of time on my hands)..........
J.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
The Ruger 10/22 has been around for going on 57 years now, with literally millions being sold. I rather doubt that Mr. William B. Ruger's intent was for the 10/22 to compete at Wimbledon, but no doubt the thought in mind was to get a very nice .22 out to the public for pure enjoyment and plinking.
Then again..........there are "Those Guys", of which I confess to being a small part of, that want to try this or that to "just see if it will shoot betta". I firmly believe that if it ain't broke, let's make it shoot better and look nicer. Or, I just luv my Ruger 10/22 like it is.

Just L@@K at the plethora of parts that we can play with to make what initially started out as a "fun type" .22 rifle, only to see if it can be morphed into a bug-hole shooter at 100 to 200 yards. Who'da thunk?

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
It's a "fun type" rifle now. In its early days, it was top of the line, IMO. I do not like, and would never buy a 10/22 with the plastic trigger assembly and the plastic tab magazine release. I can only imagine they cheapened the rest of the gun too.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I have an older, pre-warning 10/22 deluxe sporter that I rescued from a pawn shop a few years ago. I like it. Agree the awful trigger is the greatest barrier to good accuracy with these.

A few years ago I had I newer 10/22 (about 1990 vintage) that I put an Adams barrel and overmolded stock on (the .920 dia. heavy barrel). Man, that thing would shoot - it's preferred ammo? Remington Thunderbolt, which outshot Eley, Federal, and Aguilar match. Go figure.

TREE 'EM

Bearcat
10/22 barrels are high quality but cut with a excessive chamber to insure function when excessively dirty. Also, no care is taken with treating the crown at the factory.
I had a friend cut a couple thou off the breach, true is up, recut the chamber with a match reamer, set correct headspace, true and crown. At the same time he did a little work polishing the bolt and firing pin, tuned the factory trigger, eliminated the barrel band and bedded the action.
Once done it shoots as good or better than any aftermarket barrel I've gone up against. It's fun to show up with a stock looking gun and take people's money, especially when they have thousands in their rifle.

Other small details that matter are tuning the magazine and sorting ammo by weight and size. It's simply amazing what can be wrung out of a 10/22 with all factory parts.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I just put a bx trigger in my 1022 and the 1022 lazer that ruger makes .I swear it use to shoot two inch groups at 50 yards .I totally cleaned it and even took out the bolt . It now shoots under a dime at 50 yards .I think the trigger and the bracket to the lazer and cleaning did it .I swear it thinks it's a match rifle now .