10/22 100 Yard Bench Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
After deer season and the Christmas holidays have departed, I try to find some time to get a few of my ideas for personal firearms accomplished. I've had an itch to assemble a 100 yard 10/22 bench gun with all the pertinent components that I wanted to incorporate into this project. It's now done, but the temperatures and "white stuff" that's piled up and around my bench have not cooperated to make shooting comfortable. Yup!, I know a bolt gun will be a much better platform, but once my shooting partner and I get our antelope in October, we do several days of Wyoming prairie dog shooting, prone, using bi-pods, so the massacre can be fast and furious quite often. Here's a quote from another post that I found very interesting:

Quote: "If you do mostly bench or position shooting the comb is to high."

Well, here's a picture of my current 10/22 project and the comb is just perfect for bench shooting. My shooting bench has been built so it's rock-steady solid. The rifle rest I use to rest the forearm in is at the best height for me and the comb to optic position when I have my cheek pressed into the roll-over comb.

0zMDupGl.jpg

This project involves a KIDD barrel, bolt and two-stage trigger. The barrel is a heavy weight target grade barrel. Because of the barrel weight, some folks recommend that a "support tang" be added to the rear of the factory receiver to provide more stability to the action. I have not done that yet to this rifle and want to see how it shoots without the tang, only so I have the experience gained to speak about. If/when the time comes when I want to add that support tang, I have the set-up to get that done.

uPqZynOl.jpg

A place for the tang is milled into the rear face of the receiver and then, after the tang is mounted to the receiver, a round threaded cylinder is inlet into the stock and "steel powder" bedded and used for the anchor point.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I've got an old 10/22 that I got in '66 that had so many rounds through it
that it needed rebuilt. Used nothing but OEM parts, and I'm NOT a smith.

I've gotten many a three shot group right at 1/2 inch at fifty yards. I'll bet
yours will easily do better than that. :D

Hi I can tell you when I got into 22 benchrest shooting I was told its a bolt gun or nothing well I can tell you a fellow I shoot against uses a custom 1022 that has shot one of the best scores I have seen he scored a 250 24x at 50 yds so that would boil down to 25 shots into less than a 1/4 inch

Gramps

Nice set up, comb is not to high by looking at the photo. Please quote my whole remark about thumb hole stocks.. I guess I can do it "Normally" does not mean always. Also I said some likely work just fine.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
GRAMPS 51 said:
Hi I can tell you when I got into 22 benchrest shooting I was told its a bolt gun or nothing well I can tell you a fellow I shoot against uses a custom 1022 that has shot one of the best scores I have seen he scored a 250 24x at 50 yds so that would boil down to 25 shots into less than a 1/4 inch

Gramps

Wow! That is some outstanding shooting, for any .22 rimfire. I'm hoping, with the right .22 rimfire ammunition that this rifle will do half as good as the one you mention. I chose the KIDD barrel because Tony Kidd does guarantee ½ inch groups at 50 yards. Now you have me anxious to see the ground around my shooting bench, "green" rather than white.

These groups were shot with my "pillar bedded" CZ 455 FS bolt gun that's had a trigger job, but uses the factory barrel. Norma TAC-22 at 35 meters.

irwXu3ql.jpg

Don't forget at 50 yds on a outdoor range the environment is everything breezes you can hardly feel will change impact point and sudden changes in sun light will too and your always at the mercy of the ammo the stuff we shoot costs $16-$20 for a box of 50 I don't think you could ask for much better groups at 35 meters than you got there Very Nice please post more pictures when you shoot it at 50 yds

Gramps

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I haven't encountered any wind issues with how my range is set-up. I can shoot to 100 yards, and the canopy keeps the light very consistent. When I set up my target stands I used a Bushnell range finder, but not paying attention, it was set for meters rather than yards. I rather doubt that the difference between 50 yards and 35 meters will provide any significant difference. And besides, those groups were mainly to see how consistent that ammunition would perform for the rifle tested. The Norma TAC 22 may not shoot well at all at 35 meters in the above KIDD 10/22, which is the range I use to see if the ammunition being tested is worth going any further with, or to just use it for making a batch of squirrels with gravy and dumplings.

F1ug3hXl.jpg

45flattop

Single-Sixer
This thread warrants regular close attention on my part since a couple of years
ago my local range had monthly .22lr benchrest matches and I really wanted to
join in but lacked the equipment (rifle, had everything else already) to compete
so I hauled an older 10/22 out of storage and replaced literally EVERYTHING but
the receiver with KIDD pieces parts and then about the time I got it rebuilt and
ready to go, the club discontinued those matches....oh well, they're discussing
restarting them this spring once the ground is no longer white.......snow this
far south.........almost unheard of. :mrgreen:

I guess my 10/22 isn't a Bench rifle, but it will shoot this 20 shot group at 50yds off a sand bag rest. About 1/2" with one flier.

It has the original receiver/trigger with a 18"? Clark bull barrel, Hogue overmolded stock and a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 scope. Nothing more. I use Eley ammo. I have since installed a Ruger BX trigger. Might shoot tighter. We shall see.....

Those are some nice groups BUT in order to determine absolute accuracy, a machine rest would be required. Removing shooter input from the test will prove/disprove the accuracy question.
Just my opinion but I don't feel the 10/22 action is stiff enough to support the heavy barrel profile properly. Just as the accuracy of a centerfire may be compromised by action flex.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
SGW Gunsmith said:
I rather doubt that the difference between 50 yards and 35 meters will provide any significant difference.
In the interest of "accuracy", 35 meters is only 38.3 yards so that is a significant difference from 50 yards if you are evaluating group size. If, as you note, all you were doing is evaluating consistency then the 38 yard groups will tell you what you need to know but you really can't equate them to 50 yard performance.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
Those are some nice groups BUT in order to determine absolute accuracy, a machine rest would be required. Removing shooter input from the test will prove/disprove the accuracy question.
Just my opinion but I don't feel the 10/22 action is stiff enough to support the heavy barrel profile properly. Just as the accuracy of a centerfire may be compromised by action flex.

Well, my friend, I certainly do have what I consider to be a "proof positive" process by which I test .22 rimfire ammunition from ANY of the rifles, or pistols by which I try my BEST to emulate, manually. I've posted many, many, times on this forum, and several others, that I test any, and all, of the ammunition I use to competitively shoot, from a mechanical rest that completely eliminates any of my faulty, or human, input. I expressly use a Ransom Rest for handgun .22 rimfire ammunition testing and then, the contraption as pictured below to test ammunition as fired from any of my .22 rimfire caliber rifles, or those I'm testing. These two methods tell ME, whether I as a competitive shooter should proceed with a brand that doesn't produce a benchmark in accuracy that I must compete toward.

1uRuT0Sl.jpg

Complain, or remark negatively as you will, and I accept constructive criticism as brought forth, but if you don't provide either, your posts are just "blather" without any improvement, one way, or the other.

Don't even try to introduce "centerfire ammunition", or shooting into this equation, that doesn't have a dang thing to do with rimfire rifle shooting. Let's stick with the subject at hand and then maybe others will get the gist of the message and not be dissuaded by any BS involvement that doesn't matter.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
SGW Gunsmith said:
I rather doubt that the difference between 50 yards and 35 meters will provide any significant difference.
In the interest of "accuracy", 35 meters is only 38.3 yards so that is a significant difference from 50 yards if you are evaluating group size. If, as you note, all you were doing is evaluating consistency then the 38 yard groups will tell you what you need to know but you really can't equate them to 50 yard performance.

Really? How much?

Coop

Blackhawk
I use my 1996 Ruger 10/22, customized with a Fajen Thumbhole stock, a Midway (yes, Midway marked) bull barrel (1998), a Volquartsan trigger/hammer mod (1998), and a mounted 3X9X30 Leupold VariXII scope, to shoot golf balls at 100 yards, offhand. It takes a bit to get it "dialed in", but it works, and the GB's go everywhere when hit. Fun, Fun, Fun.

mikld

Blackhawk
Whether or not if the action/receiver is stiff enough for real heavy barrel accuracy, I have seen some pretty small groups come outta 10-22 with stock receivers and heavy barrels, many sub 1/2" @ 50 groups. My 10-22 has a stock bbl and when I'm hot, I get 1" groups @ 50, but that depends on my eyes that particular day... :mrgreen:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
mikld said:
Whether or not if the action/receiver is stiff enough for real heavy barrel accuracy, I have seen some pretty small groups come outta 10-22 with stock receivers and heavy barrels, many sub 1/2" @ 50 groups. My 10-22 has a stock bbl and when I'm hot, I get 1" groups @ 50, but that depends on my eyes that particular day... :mrgreen:

Oh, I totally agree with your statement, and I've also seen some groups come out of a factory Ruger 10/22 barrel that are almost impossible to believe. But, then again, there have been groups that look like they were done with 20 gauge buckshot.
I firmly believe that 10/22 accuracy is mainly incorporated with HOW the barrel is manufactured. I have NEVER been able to make a badly bored and rifled .22 rimfire barrel shoot better. If anyone knows the secret involved with making a poorly made .22 rifle barrel more accurate............please share that information.

I've worked quite a bit with Ruger 10/22 and 77/22 rifles, mainly customer's guns, who wanted to get better triggers installed and to see how we can get their particular rifle shooting better, but with the factory barrel. Several things can be done, but in some cases, not even those modifications will work. The Ruger 10/22's are fun to work with because the barrels are still easily changed. Much of the other stuff that gets done to the Ruger 10/22 are more inclined to be a comfort for the operator, such as a better trigger.

This past year I assembled two Ruger 10/22 rifles, one with a KIDD action, heavy barrel, trigger, bolt, and a Hogue stock, then another with the factory action, Federson target barrel, KIDD trigger and trued up the factory bolt. Winter came too fast, along with the hunting season where my attention turned toward customer needs. Spring is coming up and as soon as it turns from white to green on my range, I'll be doing some testing to see how well I've done.........or NOT!

My .22 range consists of 50 foot targets for pistol, 35 meters for rifle, 50 yards for rifle, 75 yards and 100 yards for both .22 rimfire and centerfire. I can go out to 200 yards but there are only a few of my customers who shoot at that distance when they stop by. Now, it just might be a bit of fun to shoot at 200 yards with one of the above mentioned .22 rifles, but I just may need to pack a lunch for the trip to and fro.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Heliman said:
I guess my 10/22 isn't a Bench rifle, but it will shoot this 20 shot group at 50yds off a sand bag rest. About 1/2" with one flier.

It has the original receiver/trigger with a 18"? Clark bull barrel, Hogue overmolded stock and a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 scope. Nothing more. I use Eley ammo. I have since installed a Ruger BX trigger. Might shoot tighter. We shall see.....

I can just see it now, "All the squirrels in your local moving over to the next county". For a factory barreled rifle and the load you're using, to me, that would make a superb woods rifle.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have heard several theories of dealing with the 10/22 action because it is not stiff enough. One , simple , replace it with a threaded SS action by some of the custom gun makers.
Another approach I have seen, and I have a gun set up this way. Glass bed the barrel from the recoil post to the end of the stock and loosely fit the action at the front and rear. I have a Clark barreled 10/22 that has shot sub 1" groups at 100 yards with RWS R50 ammo . The primary stability comes from the barrel bedding not action bedding and barrel float.
I know of 10/22's that have been made both ways that shoot excellent. The bench rest matches at our gun club are routinely won by custom 10/22".
I have friends that shoot Annies that get some pretty remarkable 100 yard groups right out of the box.
I think it comes down to the fact that we all are tinkers and like to customize guns to our likes and have fun shooting them.
BTW Coop your Mid Way barrel was made by Green Mountain, per CSR at Green mountain barrel. I have a sporting taper
match" mid way that is a small game killer !!