#1 Tropical in .405?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tss106

Single-Sixer
Have a chance to pick up a stainless/laminate #1 Tropical in .405 Win for WAY less than it's probably worth but I'm having trouble deciding on this one. I already have a couple 45-70's (both #1's) that I play around with, shooting mostly factory ammo or lighter handloads. There's something about this .405 that's keeping me from jumping in on it? Is brass hard to come by? Is it gonna loosen my fillings and hurt my retinas? Is there much demand for the .405 #1 (probably not in the stainless/lam version)? Do they not sell very well (in case I grab it and decide it's not for me)? Normally when I find a Number One at a low price, I jump on it regardless of caliber - but not this one? Maybe it's the stainless/laminate look?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
We're it in the blued/walnut I'd scream "buy it" as that would have that old world class to it (reason #1 I bought mine) but the stainless one...if it's a good enough price I guess but otherwise...
Ammo and brass isn't a common sight and can be pricey to. Haven't shot mine yet. (have a .45-70 also). I'd pass proberbly.

tss106

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99":3hd69s5q said:
I'd probably buy it just because its that rare, but a Blued/walnut one would pique my interest much more.

Yeah, but would you trade a M77 MK-II stainless/laminate .308 for the stainless/lam #1-H .405, rifle for rifle? That's what I'm pondering over.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The .308 is a lot more common than the .405 #1, plus I like No. 1s a lot. Unless the .308 had some serious sentimental value I'd probably make that trade.

sweetwine

Bearcat
Brass is easy to find, Hornady only makes the bullets that I've found.
Factory ammo kicks about like a 12 ga. slug. I reload with 300 gr cast is very nice. I'm very happy with mine No.1 in blue. The Stainless is a rare bird, also Ruger has dropped the 405 from their catalog. I don't think you would have a hard time moving it if you don't like it. It took me awhile to find mine as there were none for sale. Good luck

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
i wonder why they did the 405s on the tropical barrel instead of the medium sporter like the 4570s. I think it would have been a lot nicer gun with a bit lighter countured barrel.

pete44ru

Hunter
[Is there much demand for the .405 #1 (probably not in the stainless/lam version)? Do they not sell very well (in case I grab it and decide it's not for me)?]

JMO, but an SS/lamo Ruger #1 isn't MY idea (nor taste) of a classic rifle, in ANY chambering.

The only way I'd own one, is for free/low bucks, then try to turn a profit (doubtful) on it, by selling it ASAP to those who like such things.

YMMV, of course.

tss106

Single-Sixer
Oh well......., he ended up selling it to someone local so I'm out of it on that one. Just as well as I'd have turned around and tried to trade it away.