#1 in 500SW

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Otony

Blackhawk
SHOOTER":3mvhf6qd said:
What does that mean!????
Does Reeder not do good work??

His work is just fine. Some folks don't care for his "engraving". Others don't care for his attitude. YMMV.

I imagine you are asking because of your post regarding chopping a Ruger Number One .45-70 back to 16". I wouldn't worry, he can manage that without any problem. The front sight will likely have to be reworked or replaced due to the difference in barrel diameter 8" further back, and the balance may suck, but he can definitely do the work.

If you are not asking for a caliber change (rebarrel) then there are any number of smiths who can do what you request. But I caution you that it may not look good or balance nicely.

Try Photoshopping a good sized pic of the rifle with a shorter barrel. Better yet, see if there is anyone (doubtful) who has a Number One so shortened.

If all you are after is a short single shot .45-70 you might do better cutting down a Handi-rifle. The Number One was meant to replicate the classic lines of a best British single shot. To look its best it really should have a minimum of 24" barrel, which even then is short compred to a real Brit gun. 26" or even 28" looks most authentic and best...to me.

As to handling, well I just don't know. I do know that you are going to be crowding the band swivel if you shorten the barrel that much, which may result in more work. Again, YMMV.

SHOOTER

Buckeye
I think a short barreled #1 in 45.70 makes a great BRUSH gun , better then a Marlin 16inch guide gun...

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Otony":ocub94fx said:
SHOOTER":ocub94fx said:
What does that mean!????
Does Reeder not do good work??

His work is just fine. Some folks don't care for his "engraving". Others don't care for his attitude. YMMV.

This, you may get what He wants rather than what you want...

METLHED57

Bearcat
Just to clarify, this one I posted for was not an endorsement of his work(never heard of the guy before) but rather it was one I happened across during my search for #1's. It would appear he is a somewhat controversial character to say the least.