#1-A LS Hornet?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

83mvp

Bearcat
Seem to have come into a #1-A Light Sporter (I think) in .22 Hornet. Any surefire way to tell if it's a LS as opposed to a Standard? It has the barrel band swivel, quarter rib with rear sight, 22" barrel, Alex Henry forearm and no rings. Serial number dates it to 1988.

Don't have the box or any documentation for it. Any specific way to ID the configuration? If it is a LS, what's it's true market value? Really 350-something made? I have NO intentions of selling it, just want to find out it's insurable value and then shoot the poop out of it!! =)

Thanks for any help!

picketpin

Buckeye
I'm sorry but you are going to have to tell me what an LS is????

I think what you have is probably a short run "A" in 22 Hornet just like the one I have. Serial on mine is 132-82XXX

That would be my best guess.

The best

Ross

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
'Tis what it is..........#1A Light Sporter, uncataloged, Wammes' Distributorship original order, .22 Hornet w/22" barrel. Value of 900 to 1250, depending on use/wear/box/pprs, etc. Ross, seems I recall that one you mentioned :wink:

picketpin

Buckeye
83: I guess I might have just put my brain on hold. I am guessing LS is Light Sporter? A Light Sporter, 22", light weight barrel, Alex Henry forearm, Barrel band, factory sights is one and the same as an "A".

There is a "Standard" Light Sporter, 22" light weight barrel, Semi Beavertail forearm, no sights or the "AB" but that was never chambered in the 22 Hornet.

Ross

83mvp

Bearcat
Thanks fellas. This is only my second #1 (the other being a 1V in 22-250) and I'm just not as educated as I should be about them. But I sure intend to become that way! :wink:

The rifle is being shipped to me at the moment and once I get it here, I'll be able to tell a little more about it.

Picketpin: The S/N is also a 132-82XXX on mine so they appear to have been made around the same time.

Here is a picture of the rifle with a Savage 99 I bought at the same time:
Number1.jpg

Thanks again for your help.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
83mvp,
Nice rifle(both of them!); the way to get educated is to get the Clayton Ruger No.1 book, for starters. Anything not in the book?- Answers can usually be found out from Members of this forum. If it is not known by this group, then it is just not known!! However there are a lot of differing opinions.
Have sent you a PM.

83mvp

Bearcat
Uno,

It was a pleasure to meet you today at the Dallas show. Thanks very much for your insight into the Number 1. If things don't work out on the book I ordered, I'll give you a call!
Thanks again for your background on the #1 Hornet. I appreciate your help and I will stay in touch.

83mvp