#1 - 460S&W

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
I respectfully and completely disagree. There is a fine place for a pistol caliber rifle or carbine! It may not be your cup of tea but don't think for one minute it is a waste of a rifle.

In a strong action and compact rifle such as the #1S you can push a big 45 bullet at some very high velocities. If you have one of the S&W Performance Center 460 XVR's then add another 300FPS or so to the velocity. I can't think of anyone would look at that level of performance and think of it as a waste just because it is housed in a rifle. Besides - some of us just want something different and like the #1 and the combination of a unique chambering.

To further my point - Most of our hunting all over the country for big game is under 200 yards and a big slug leaves big holes and makes for some very quick and effective kills. There are states that for years have not allowed rifles in certain areas for deer hunting but now have allowed (or are in the process of allowing) rifles chambered for handgun cartridges.

That is exactly the case with Michigan as a bill is pending to allow rifles in handgun calibers in Zone 3 and the 460 fits that purpose perfectly. I can think of no nicer and better setup for southern Michigan deer. I'm not a big fan of slugs in shotguns and don't really care for muzzleloaders. I love handgun hunting which is allowed in the southern part of Michigan but sometimes it is just nice to have a good looking and accurate rifle with you.

I have a #1S in 475 Linebaugh and love it and have a 460 #1S on order. I'll shoot the hell out of both! A waste? I don't think so.

bandit320

Bearcat
Ltdshooter":2lzjh4e3 said:
....In a strong action and compact rifle such as the #1S you can push a big 45 bullet at some very high velocities......

Kind of like a 45-70?

Mike

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
Yes - Kind of like a 45/70 but better because you can shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt rounds through it. I have handguns in both calibers and can't think of a more versatile setup.

martyj

Blackhawk
Ltdshooter":28huce0i said:
Yes - Kind of like a 45/70 but better because you can shoot 454 Casull and 45 Colt rounds through it. I have handguns in both calibers and can't think of a more versatile setup.
If those cartridges would interchange in 45-70 chamber than so would a 460 S&W and you could have them all.
I know for a fact a 460s&w will shoot 45 colt and 454 Casull.

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
The 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460 S&W can't be used in the 45/70. Case and Rim diameters on the handgun rounds are much smaller that the 45/70. If you manage to drop one of the handgun rounds into a 45/70 and pull the trigger you won't like the result or the damage caused to you and your gun. Additionally the 45/70 shoots .458 jacketed bullets or .459 - 460 Cast bullets where as the handgun rounds will shoot .452 jacketed or up to .454 cast bullets. Different beasts all together.

bandit320

Bearcat
Ltdshooter":2uknd4m8 said:
.....Different beasts all together......

Exactly my point. I have several pistol caliber carbines, and love them. They are great for two legged dangerous game. I have three single shot rifles, and love them. However, I think anyone shooting a bear with a pistol caliber, 460 S&W, in a single shot rifle or otherwise should have a good friend with them that has a real rifle. The number 1 being able to shoot 45 Colts and 454's makes it more versatile when you run out of ammo, but it definitely doesn't make it a better rifle than a 45-70.

Mike

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
bandit320":12w1xsg8 said:
Ltdshooter":12w1xsg8 said:
.....Different beasts all together......

Exactly my point. I have several pistol caliber carbines, and love them. They are great for two legged dangerous game. I have three single shot rifles, and love them. However, I think anyone shooting a bear with a pistol caliber, 460 S&W, in a single shot rifle or otherwise should have a good friend with them that has a real rifle. The number 1 being able to shoot 45 Colts and 454's makes it more versatile when you run out of ammo, but it definitely doesn't make it a better rifle than a 45-70.

Mike

I agree 100%. When it comes to Larger and Dangerous game, I'll bring my 375 into the fray or something even larger. However, for the tasty Whitetails that are running around our part of Michigan I think smacking them with a 460 or 475 #1 would be a ton-o-fun.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Well I picked up my first #1 last night it sure will not be my last. I have a new strain of the Ruger disease now. This one is going to be expensive to treat. I never really appreciated what a fine rifle the #1 is until now. I got the 475 linebaugh main reason was the caliber but I have a feeling this will become one of my favorite rifles. The gun is flawless. My faith is slightly renewed that Ruger can still produce a perfect gun.

P1000666JPG1.jpg

P1000666.jpg