#1 -45/70 setups...TAMING the BEAST!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
I love the #1 in 45/70! But the Factory recoil pad is garbage if shooting hot handloads and /or Buffalo Bore- garret - or Corbon. So my question - has anyone Mag na ported one of these? Or re padded? Info please....

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
I put a limbsaver on my marlin and that has made a world of difference. My hunting load is a 325gr pill pushed at 2100 fps. 20 hot rounds doesn't bother me at all.

Bob/Olallawa

Bearcat
I had a ported rifle once, and only for a short time. The extra noise is not worth the reduced recoil. If you don't plan to hunt with it and the range will let you shoot it there then maybe.
I dropped down to 300 gr. bullets and mid range powder loads and all is good.

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
Put a Kick-Eze pad on it. It's the best pad you can use for heavy kickers. Magaporting OK but only knocks some of the barrel rise out which is perceived recoil not true straight back kick (free recoil).

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Unless you have a real need for such stiff loads I would just back off on the load and leave the gun as is. Look what is killed routinely with our big bore six and five guns at 1000 - 1300 fps. My two bits.

gcf

Bearcat
Boxhead":22vls5e9 said:
Unless you have a real need for such stiff loads I would just back off on the load and leave the gun as is. Look what is killed routinely with our big bore six and five guns at 1000 - 1300 fps. My two bits.

Bingo! Any "recoil reduction" modifications performed on this rifle, will only cost a bunch of dough, reduce resale value, & be a source of regret down the road.

Work up some 300 grain "plinking" loads for day in / day out practice, some 405 "business" loads for the tough stuff, & be a happy big bore shooter.

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
Man I put a nice, big pad on my #1 45/70.......life is much better now!
Will probably hurt the resale value if you ever intend to sell but then again, maybe not on this caliber.
Beruisis

cimcw

Bearcat
For what its worth:
I put a Kick Eez pre fitted pad on my 45/70 No 1. Certainly tamed it down. Liked it so much I also put it on the 375 H&H and 300 Win Mag. I simply pulled off the old pad and put on the Kick Eez. Pretty good fit. It also dosen't alter the gun, so resale is not affected. Being on the taller side I also appreciated the extra 1/2 inch of pull. I got them at Midway USA, and was the best $30 I have spent on a gun in a long time...
Chris

MFD

Bearcat
If you want to experience some recoil touch off my NO. 1 Tropical in 458Lott and as you found out, you will be looking for a way to tame it down. I installed a mercury recoil reducer in buttstock, did not want to change the original "butt" and bought one of those Ruger factory leather velcro pads and huge difference in the pain factor. Now can drop down to 45/70 level loads and shoot very comfortably;however, the stout Lott and 458WinMag. loads still give you a good shove, but a whole lot better than as factory equipped. Bought this big bore as more of a lark to begin with, but can honestly say that rifle is now one of my favorites and always look forward to taking it to the range. Damn accurate and certainly no shortage of power. Most bang for the buck in the firearms industry!!

martin

4Sixteen

Bearcat
Recoil becomes an issue when bench rest shooting, in the field it isn't a concern for me at least. I pad my shoulder (using a glove, or whatever) for bench rest shooting. I would rather leave the rifle in stock form.

Here's my No.1 45-70. My standard hunting load is a 350gr X bullet at 2200 fps. 8)

4570ruger1.jpg

gcf

Bearcat
4Sixteen":qv646x95 said:
Here's my No.1 45-70. My standard hunting load is a 350gr X bullet at 2200 fps. 8)

Nice little rig you've got there. I let mine go a while back, & now shoot a No.1-A / 7x57.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I like the looks of the strap. Can you provide details?

Thanks in advance!

1A7x57009.jpg

gcf

Bearcat
DonD":3sr1i3b5 said:
If you want another option, Turner makes what many think is the best military style sling around. They have them in leather and a more rugged material called Biothane and in different colors, black, brown, tan etc. Don

Thanks Don, I'll check 'em out. I was wondering if that is what is shown on 416's rifle?

Gary

4Sixteen

Bearcat
gcf":1y76s35z said:
4Sixteen":1y76s35z said:

Nice little rig you've got there. I let mine go a while back, & now shoot a No.1-A / 7x57.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I like the looks of the strap. Can you provide details?

Thanks in advance!

1A7x57009.jpg

It's a quick-adjust sling, not sure of the manufacturer, have had it for years. I replaced the brass screws with leather lace. 8)

gcf

Bearcat
4Sixteen":3m3x3914 said:
It's a quick-adjust sling, not sure of the manufacturer, have had it for years. I replaced the brass screws with leather lace. 8)

Well it may be the leather lace up - nice touch BTW, but what ever, it just seems to look right on a classic single shot "lever gun". ;=]

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
I put a limbsaver on my No. 1 45-70 and it helps considerably. Didn't need to modify the gun at all and of course I saved the original recoil pad so I can return it to original condition any time I want.