“Happy Holidays”. Earliest PC?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hunter
I’ve always said Happy Holidays! Starting at Thanksgiving until New Years is the Holiday season.

Now when I say it people yell at me. Saying something like “I don’t tolerate that PC crap. Merry Christmas!”

I guess Happy Holidays might be the earliest PC expression? If you didn’t know if Merry Christmas was appropriate.

Last edited:

Hvymax

Blackhawk
It's a little early for Merry Christmas. Even if you do recognize all 12 days. Technically we are in Advent. A period of reflection and repentance. We wouldn't want the Blessed Virgin having premature labor.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
It's called the Holiday Season because so many Holidays fall in this window Secular and Religious. Unless you know what holiday a particular person is celebrating it's a safe option. Not to mention even if you are a Christian this is Advent. A period of recollection and repentance leading to the Christmas season of 12 days. We wouldn't want the Blessed Virgin having premature labor after all. Blindly blithering salutations demeans the meaning of the actual Holy Days.

I say Happy Holidays as well. It encompasses all three, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve and New Years Day. Besides, who knows if I'm speaking to someone who might be Jewish? It doesn't make someone an enemy or bad person just because they don't celebrate Christmas.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Please don’t say HH to me if you see me wearing a cross (or even dressed in red and green). It’s a cop out. I promise not to say MC to anyone wearing the Star of David.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
As a Freemason, I respect all who believe in a singular Almighty. As such, I believe it is more appropriate to say, "Happy Holidays" to my friends of all religions (Hell with being "PC"! -it's just polite and considerate!)

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Well I agree that naming the holiday might seem better. But these days I run out of breath naming them. Happy Thanksgiving/Christmas/Haunika(for give spelling please)/Kwanza/New Years/ Three Kings Day/Boxing Day and others I’m sure I missed

Dan in MI

Staff member
And I try to NOT replace Christ with X.
For me, it’s Christmas, not Xmas.

I was that way too for a long time....until I read the history. This is just the first reference I grabbed. (I still try not use X, but it doesn't annoy me anymore)

First of all, you have to understand that it is not the letter X that is put into Christmas. We see the English letter X there, but actually what it involves is the first letter of the Greek name for Christ. Christos is the New Testament Greek for Christ. The first letter of the Greek word Christos is transliterated into our alphabet as an X. That X has come through church history to be a shorthand symbol for the name of Christ.

Happy Holidays could be said on 17 January and used to cover all the rest of the years holidays to include personal vacations (they, after all, are 'holidays'). For me it is Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Easter, not to forget Happy Birthday (numerous times each year). IMHO celebrate each holiday and what it stands for not some CYA generic term

eveled

Hunter
I was that way too for a long time....until I read the history. This is just the first reference I grabbed. (I still try not use X, but it doesn't annoy me anymore)
I always thought it was supposed to represent the Cross which seemed sort of morbid. I always wondered why it wasn’t a “t”. Now I know.

I don’t mind it in writing shorthand but some people will say “xmas”. I do prefer to see it written out Christmas. Its about Christ.

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
It's all about expressing good wishes. Trying to come up with PC ways to do it is just moronic. I always say Happy (or merry) {Holiday Name}. Screw PC

KIR

Blackhawk
I resent people telling me what to say. I will say what I want to say, whenever I want.

eveled

Hunter
Happy Holidays

Been saying it forever, before it was PC
This was my original point. Been saying it for years. Now when I say it people get mad because it is PC now.

One more thing stolen from us.

Latest posts