Colt 1911 ( Not A1) Value ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
My LGS has a Colt 1911 ( pre A1) in the case .

Good News : Complete , US Property marked , great condition

Bad News ( depending upon interpretation ) :

Shiney reblue ( good quality , not rounded or over polished ) , newer bbl , engine turned over chamber . Arched mainspring housing w/ lanyard . Good 4.5 to 5 lb trigger , undoubtedly been tuning. Bbl isn't stupid tight , but tighter than GI . About how you would expect a good practical shooter to be fitted .

Yeah , all the "bad news " is arguably good news in other contexts .

One of my sub niches is desirable classic guns , with just enough non original to make affordable . Such as my two S&W 2nd Model .44 Hand Ejectors with aftermarket nickle finishes .

Asking price is $900 . I know that an offer of $ 700 was turned down . Is $900 in the right ballpark ?

hittman

Staff member
Two things come to mind ……

1. There's many other 1911s on the market for less money that are better quality.

2. If you want a WW2 marked vintage historical 1911, how much YOU want to pay is all that matters.

Even more to the point.

Still comes down to the "pucker factor" as rugerguy would say. :shock:

You can spend well over $900 for a brand-new-in-the-box 1911 but still not have the panache of this one. :wink:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
If the gun has been refinished , it has lost just about all , if not all , of it's collector value.
So I wouldn't price it as such.
As said above , I believe you can get a better gun for the money.

pieces parts, put together, NOT "original" either, can always swap out parts, reparkerize it and put in GI surplus parts, a sum of the total of the parts plus more work, and did I say "not original"?? For what you have described not worth $900 to me,,,,, too many nice affordable, lower cost Mil spec 1911s out there...............unless its "how bad do YOU want or need it"?? ergo,,,,,the "Pucker Factor"... 8) :roll:

your offer of $700 was MORE than fair........ :wink:

XLIV

Single-Sixer
I feel your heartache..

I stumbled into a 1914 springfield. High pucker factor. Its arsenal reworked. First thing I bought was a correct magazine. THAT was more than I wanted to spend. So now it sits, afraid to shoot a 100+ yr gun.
My lesson, get a brand new mil spec 1911 and shoot the heck out of it.

Guess it depends on whether you want a shooter or a conversation starter. I have a 1943 Remington-Rand that has been polished and blued at least once, although all the markings are quite plainly visible. I replaced the thoroughly shot-out barrel with one that actually still has some rifling in it. At fifty feet I can keep most of 'em in the black of an NRA timed/rapid fire pistol target. Suits me just fine and it's still a neat thing for show-and-tell that I can let my friends shoot some. :mrgreen: