Primers: some light on the horizon?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

This popped up on the phone a couple of hours ago and raises a glimmer of hope!

https://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/2022/jan/19/ammunition-plant-to-open-near-texarkana/

I hope they get it all together and running as quickly as they'd like. Perhaps starting with a previous ammo plant will help move things along.

Rick C

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
NikA said:
Well, the link doesn't work, so I guess for me it's just wishful thinking.

Hi,

I think I got the link fixed. If not, you can try this link: https://www.pressreader.com/usa/texarkana-gazette/20220120/281479279788550

And if that doesn't work, try a search for "ammunition plant texarkana"

Good luck!

Rick C

NikA

Buckeye
Thanks for fixing the link. Good news, I think, as they look to be unassociated with the "Big 2" ammo manufacturers. I wonder if they will be supplying the primary explosive compound in-house or if they have an external supplier.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I wish there was a way to invest in their company so as to help control the cartel established by the BIG TWO. Maybe they should set up a 'go fund me' page..... I'd contribute..!!!

It's the only way we'll be able to effect the monopolistic practices which have crippled the ammo/components markets.

IMHO,

J.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
NikA said:
I wonder if they will be supplying the primary explosive compound in-house or if they have an external supplier.

Somewhere in one of the articles, they talked about the facility being "hardened" from its previous life as a government ammunition plant. The Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant was described as a "GOCO" or government owned, contractor operated facility.There was an aside about that being a good thing considering its "next life." From that I'm leaning toward everything being in house. Guess we'll learn more...

Rick C

akbluz

Blackhawk
That's great. Maybe it will take the pressure off CCI, Remington, and Winchester so that some primers make it to Three Bears Alaska for purchase. I can hope.

Bi mart nearby had Remington primers several weeks ago. Fed primers were at a local gun shop along with Remington and a Sportsmans Whse about 6 months ago. IMR powders are showing up, Even some H1000. The shotgun powders sit awhile on the shelfs the others are gone in hours.

loaded round

Hunter
Made a road trip to my favorite gun store yesterday and they had the following primers for sale. Large Rifle, Large Magnum Rifle, and Large Pistol primers. Both Winchester and CCI. Purchase was limited to 5 pk/100 of each and pricing was on the high side but reasonable. Fortunately I didn't need primers. Fairly good supply of all makes of powder also.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Yesterday at a gun show , I finally saw some SPP in the wild ! At $140 I thought hard , but ultimately passed . But admittedly $140 was far better than $400 a year ago .

"if they will be supplying the primary explosive compound in-house or if they have an external supplier."
Hauling primer compound sounds like a recipe for disaster. If I was a trucker, I'd PASS on that load.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I'll believe it when I see Expansion Industries Texas
Primers on the shelves. Unfortunately how it goes……

Shareholders and Loans, first
Expansion Brand Ammo, second
Expansion primers manufacturing
Expn Ammo manufacturing increased
Expn primers used in Expn Ammo
Government contracts
Very little Primers supplied to Consumers/shelves.
No reasonable prices

The Best to you and your Endeavors, and hopefully Competition.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
so true, they see a chance to make money and will do just that. if more primers are put in the pipeling, thats a good thing but don,t expect to see a big price reduction.

Latest posts