Another "NEW" cartridge

Help Support Ruger Forum:

8.6 BlackOut
Read a little about it and have to wonder WHY. At this time when most common ammo is hard to get, now here's another white elephant.
Oh yeah, the design is based around a 1 in 3 twist--that's right 1 in 3.

NikA

Buckeye
From the pics, copper solids.

I doubt this one is eating up any major ammo manufacturers' production capacity at this point. Q is a pretty small shop and if you read the article the release has been delayed because they can't get components to load the ammo.

The designer says he's waiting for Hornady and/or Gorilla to find time to produce "tens of thousands" of rounds--I assume on a custom work basis.
Bullets? I presume solid gilding metal(copper) and 'bonded' construction from the news release. I'm not really sure what the market niche will be but I'm fairly certain I'm not in it.

Enigma

Hunter
I watched a blurb about it on YT. They mentioned hunting Cape Buffalo with it, and showed a couple of different (SBR) rifles chambered for it; one a Remington 700 with a sub-10" barrel. Yeah, I'll pass, thanks. They showed a view down a barrel and mentioned that the 1:3" rifling twist looks almost like threading.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
That sound you hear in the distance , is the ghost of J.D. Jones screaming about his .338 Whisper being ripped off just like the .300 Whisper !

A subsonic .338 with very heavy bullet is an interesting concept . Albeit a Very Niche concept unlikely to achieve commercial success . But the ripped off .300 Whisper aka Blackout did achieve market success , so it's not a crazy idea to make a speculative stab at bigger bore ctg of similar general concept . This one probably won't , but it's innovative capitalism at work . Invest in speculative R&D , and hope for a big- ish pay back if they get lucky .

To the extent that there is a potential market for a medium large bore subsonic , suitable for autoloading arms , it already exists , and in use since the 1980's , albeit all but unknown in this country .

The 9 x 39 . Somewhat oversimplified , visualize the 7.62 x 39 , necked up to .35- ish ( .366)with 250- 275 grain projectiles .

If you're going to change anything for the US market , change the bore size from .366 to .358 . Shouldn't be too difficult to develop a super sonic loading with +/- 200gr , at a level exceeding the .351 WSL , approaching the .35 Remington .
Still a niche cartridge , but with significantly more general appeal than the ill fated and largely forgotten .30 AR from Remington . Heck , a good name would be .35 AR .

The case head/body diameter of this new cartridge is considerably larger than the .221 parent cartridge of the 300AAC.
Therefore, there's the potential for improved performance. Ostensibly, part of the reason for the weird 1-3 twist is to impart more energy/expansion potential to the slow moving bullets.
One of the issues I've encountered with 300AAC sub-sonic is poor terminal performance. There's only one type/brand (GORILLA) of sub-sonic hunting ammo that really works well.

Mobuck said:
I'm not really sure what the market niche will be but I'm fairly certain I'm not in it.

:p :p :p

For me, that applies to about 90% of the "new" shooting stuff in the last 20 years…

I'm finding that generally I can get along just fine with stuff that was available in the mid/late 1900s.
(Most of it, even earlier than that!) 8)

Gary Reeder has made a career out of necking existing cartridges up and/or down creating proprietary "GNR" designs, for which he offers custom guns of course. He has several dozen such chamberings available from the .22" stuff up to the .500" stuff. He also sells reloading dies for these unique rounds.

wwb

Hunter
Enigma said:
........ They mentioned hunting Cape Buffalo with it, and showed a couple of different (SBR) rifles chambered for it; one a Remington 700 with a sub-10" barrel..........

Cape Buffalo? Heavy bullet...good. Subsonic....very, very, very bad.

That long, heavy for caliber and slow moving a projectile HAS to spin comparatively fast to still be stable 100 yards from the muzzle, thus the super fast twist rate...cause it is lumbering through the barrel. When I want heavy and slow, I stick with a real buffalo caliber and grab my 45/70 Marlin

Latest posts