Locktite application

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Type color code Torque to break free(3⁄8-16 size bolt) Torque to continue turning
Low strength ■ Purple 7 N⋅m (62 in-lb) 3 N⋅m (27 in-lb)
Medium strength ■ Blue 12 N⋅m (115 in-lb) 6 N⋅m (53 in-lb)
High strength ■ Red 25 N⋅m (230 in-lb) 25 N⋅m (225 in-lb)
High temperature ■ Red 20 N⋅m (180 in-lb) 30 N⋅m (270 in-lb)
Penetrating ■ Green 10 N⋅m (90 in-lb) 35 N⋅m (310 in-lb)

Never use RED unless you want the screw to stay there forever. Blue is the go-to color for scope mounts, and gun parts that may come loose on their own.

gunzo

Buckeye
KYyeti nailed it on the colors & strengths.

I'd feel I should add 1 more thing. Just a drop of it on the side of the screw/bolt close to the tip is plenty. Too much creates curing problems & hinders the performance of the product.

In general terms I'll use Blue on fasteners between SAE number 6 up to number 10 or their metric equals on things that you know will need to be taken apart. If it's something I don't expect to ever take apart again AND it can withstand about 300 degrees of heat I'll go to Red.
Only use the low strength stuff on tiny screws.
You don't need to drown the hardware....just a drop or so usually, and if it's critical clean the threads ( both ) with a no residue solvent and dry them well.
If you are taking apart something that has thread locker on it heat is your friend, most go soft at 250 to 300 degrees. On something heat sensitive a soldering iron on the screw head is often enough heat to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts