MKIV critical spare parts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bruce in WV

Single-Sixer
MKIV critical spare parts?

What are the most critical spare parts I should have on hand at the cabin in the woods to keep my MKIV up and running?

Viewed from a slightly different perspective, is there a list of parts that need to be replaced most often?

woodsy

Blackhawk
I have a Mark 1, and after more than 50,000 rounds it still does not NEED anything. Although I did make custom grips for competition. I guess it might depend on the similarities between it and the Mark IV. I did read on another forum that there is an O-ring used in its quick-disassembly feature which does not last forever.

Bruce in WV

Single-Sixer
Good start. Almost all of my spare part never get used, but I live at the end of the pavement and need to be self-sufficient with parts and common repairs.

I did more research and found that a well known MK series supplier sells a combined emergency parts/ upgrade kit that contains 'Firing Pin - x1, Extractor - x1, and Firing Pin Rebound Spring - x5'.
How about other parts critical to keeping it running? Does nothing ever fail? Any gunsmiths here that see lots of guns come through their shops that can offer some practical input?

Bruce in WV

Single-Sixer
Follow up question, pls:

Is there a shop manual, or a detailed strip description, for the MK series that includes the MKIV? (assume no internet, so paper copy or pdf)

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have found it helpful to download youtube assembly/disassembly videos and then transfer them to DVD. Without internet access you can still view your videos (assuming you have electricity and a video player of some type).

For the most part, I have always kept some spare parts for just about everything I own.... Again, for the most part, never used any of them... :shock:
BUT, THERE'S ALWAYS A FIRST TIME

J.

I bought a bunch of spare parts for my MK I and MK II's and they set in a drawer until I sold my guns. Now I have a MKIV, and figure at my age nothing will wear out before I do. I would get spare magazines.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
While it's hard to wear out a Ruger Mark series pistol, it's good to have extra parts on hand. Ever drop a small part and lose it ? In 40+ years in owning Ruger firearms I have only had to replace a extractor on a early Mark 1. I have bought many extra parts over the years and 2 days ago just ordered extra parts for a Mark 4 that I just bought and am still waiting for it to pass the background check before I can pick it up. I know one thing that many of the parts for the older guns are no longer available and are worth a lot more now when I bought them. I even bought some AMT Lightning pistol parts that fit Ruger Mark series guns. To me the parts are better than money in the bank. I have also been buying Ruger Mark series related gunsmithing tools.

INLINECHEVY6.

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with the idea of a spare gun,, instead of worrying about just parts. Sometimes parts can get "mis-placed" or lost etc. An entire gun isn't as likely to get lost,, AND it's an immediate fix to a problem. Kinda like the old adage; "The fasted reload is a second gun!"

That said,, I too have a parts bin of MK series parts,, and it gathers dust.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I usually lose springs when I take my guns apart... I keep a couple of different Brownells spring packages (all different diameters and tensile strengths); and in some cases I have a few specific gun springs stashed. I've actually never had a gun "break" other than my Taurus PT-145 (3 times).... I traded it for a SA-XDS :)
For off-the-beaten path considerations, I second the vote for a spare Mk IV (parts gun :) ).

J

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Two parts I found better than was used in MK1 thru MK3 pistols is the MK 4 recoil spring assembly. Also the Volquartsen tuneable recoil assembly. The original MK1 thru MK3 recoil assembly always seemed cheaply made compared to the MK4 and The Volquartsen ones. Myself I have been buying spare parts for all my Rugers the last 40+ years. I recently started buying spare parts for my Winchester model 67 rifles. I just bought one used part minor part that cost more than the first model 67 rifle I bought brand new in 1961. I also just bought some spare parts for my Traditions 54 caliber percussion muzzleloader. And a few parts for my K98K Mauser. Parts like the guns are not getting any cheaper.

CHEVYINLINE6.