Single-Six cylinder, New vs Old Models

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redhawk41

Bearcat
Can someone tell me if the 22LR cylinders are interchangeable between the Old Model and the New Model guns? My guess is "no", but that's purely a guess.
Secondly, if they are indeed different how can you tell which one you have by looking at it? I have what appears to be a brand new one in the red velvet bag in the original box.
Here's a picture of the box if that helps.

TacoFrank

Bearcat
I have an old model cylinder in a well worn red bag, I can spend you pics of front, top, and side if you like. I don't know how to post here. I am pretty new to this forum. PM me your phone # and I'll be happy to send pics.
TacoFrank

hittman

Staff member
https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=297252

https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=295941

https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=296725

Here's some other threads on the subject of Single Six cylinders. I think they'll swap out but others will suggest having a gunsmith verify timing, etc.

A pic of your cylinder would help …. Both ends of it.

as noted elsewhere, the old model has a firing pin groove, AND YES this carried over into the early ,first New Models, guess they used them up but gotta know the over all length front to rear as we've even seen some old models that did NOT interchange, barrel set back or some such, sometime in the 1950s,,,had this come up a few different times in the shop.

Redhawk41

Bearcat
Thank you for the replies, gentleman, but a guy just purchased the cylinder from me last night and I no longer have it to measure, etc....

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I have an old model Super Single Six, and a New Model Super Single Six. Both are convertibles with both cylinders.

OTOH, none work in a Wrangler.

All 4 of the cylinders exchange with both guns, and they index perfectly. I never tried to shoot one in the other, though.

Hope this helps.

Redhawk41

Bearcat
GypsmJim said:
I have an old model Super Single Six, and a New Model Super Single Six. Both are convertibles with both cylinders.

OTOH, none work in a Wrangler.

All 4 of the cylinders exchange with both guns, and they index perfectly. I never tried to shoot one in the other, though.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that does help a lot.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
There is lotsa confusion about the cyls but this should help:

There are Old Model and New Model Single Sixes which started in 1973.

There are OM and NM cylinders but the OM/NM designation for the cyls does not correspond to change of the guns.

The cyls changed to the non-fluted Mag cyls labeled 22 Magnum and to the .22 LR cyls w/o firing pin groove beginning in ~1976 with a transition period over about 2 years for both blue and stainless cyls. During the transition period it was not unusual for the guns to ship with an OM 22 cyl and a NM Magnum cyl or visa versa.

Redhawk41

Bearcat
So as a matter of curiosity, as a general rule will the grooved vs. non-grooved cylinders work in either type of gun as long as timing and cylinder length isn't a problem?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The cylinders do interchange in general but the variation in length can sometimes require adjustments. Those cylinders too long are easiest, just take off a couple thousandths from the front hub. Too short requires shim washers loctited in place or welding, or hub replacement.

Never did one with timing problems and very seldom had a cyl to barrel gap issue.

Diamond78

Bearcat
I have a 1963 single 6 I ordered a now model LR cylinder for it and it did not fit ,the cylinder was a little too long

contender

Ruger Guru
Read things above a little.
If a cylinder is a little long,, you can hone/file/machine off a few thousands of the too long cylinder to allow the fit.
Measure your existing cylinder's OAL, then measure the new cylinder's OAL. You will see the amount necessary to remove.

Diamond78

Bearcat
I made the modifications that where mentioned above and the cylinder fits perfectly I just need to go test fire it .Thanks

KIR

Sparks, NV
Recently purchased a new Single Six with the Mag cylinder. As I gave my old one to one of my sons, I will take my new one with me to L. A. next time I visit my family down there. My new one only cost me $300 and only had one blemish probably caused by a holster.

Latest posts