LCR9mm and +P ammo compatibility?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
The Manual does not specifically state that +P ammo can be used in the LCR9mm.
Does anyone know if this is the case or just an error on Ruger's part not mentioning the +P 9mm in the
manual?
Thanks,
Dano

hittman

Staff member
bookemdano said:
The Manual does not specifically state that +P ammo can be used in the LCR9mm.

Seems illogical to think Ruger and their lawyers just "forgot" to mention if +P is approved.

Manual does say use only jacketed 9mm ammo. I wonder how many owners know that?

contender

Ruger Guru
If the manual doesn't say it's acceptable,, then I'd say it's NOT acceptable to use a +p 9mm ammo in that gun. Ruger's lawyers are quite careful about making sure they cover things quite well.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
The LCR can handle 9mm +p. Just make sure you use a cartridge with a good crimp to ensure the bullet doesn't pull itself out of the case under recoil.

NVSeabee

Bearcat
I've shot +p+ , +p and standard velocity 9mm out of mine with no crimp jump issues. My normal carry load is the Rem Golden Saber 124+p. But I also like the old Fed 9BPLE +P+ load which is 115 gr. I don't use the 147 gr loads as I have heard that they are the most likely to crimp jump. Most training is down with standard velocity 115 or 124 gr loads though.

Although several have said they have shot +p and +p+ in their LCR's, if you do it and something blows up, Ruger will wash it's hands of the incident saying they never stated that +p ammo is acceptable for use in that revolver. It may handle the hot ammo just fine.....until one day it doesn't.

The manual says "Ruger LCR revolvers are designed for use with cartridges of the correct caliber which are manufactured in accordance with the U.S. Industry Standards". It does not specifically mention the +P version, and surprisingly does not mention SAAMI even though the +P version is SAAMI-spec. It does, however, say that the .38 Special version can use the +P version of that ammo. Take all that for what it's worth. I do find it strange that Ruger didn't mention the +P 9mm ammo. IMHO Ruger could have done a better job dealing with the +P 9mm ammo situation considering how popular that ammo is.

As an aside, the guy demonstrating the LCR9 in the video does say "you can shoot the same ammo in this evolver that you use in your autoloader". Again, take that for what it's worth.

And just for fun, whereas 9mm is rated @ 35,000 psi, the +P is rated @ 38,500 psi . . . and .357 is rated @ 35,000 psi with no SAAMI +P rating.

Ruger says it's OK to use .38 SPL+P in its revolver so marked, which is rated @ 20,000 psi.

I draw no conclusions from all this.

:mrgreen: