Removing Sight Roll Pin To Get Sight Off

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I want to replace the rear sight on my GP but the roll pin does not want to come out. I'm using a punch and tapping it but it's not moving. I've already put a couple of light scratches around the pin as I try to tap it out.

you gotta put the gun in a padded vise so as to NOT "bounce" the frame or the punch ( 1/16nth").....may soak it a bit with Kroil or such but we never had any issues with knocking out the rear sight cross pins,,,,lay it on your lap or on the kitchen table and you WILL have trouble...... 8) :roll: :wink:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I'll bring it to my local guy but all the videos I've seen and a search for other posts on other forums say it comes out easily. I even took the whole top screw out and it still won't budge. How long should I put some Kroil on there? I'm no gunsmith but I've torn down all my revolvers before. This doesn't seem like something that would be so difficult.

hittman

Staff member
Let the Kroil soak at least over night …. A day or two wouldn't hurt.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Let the Kroil soak at least over night …. A day or two wouldn't hurt.

I soaked it overnight. Not budging. And a vise won't make a difference I don't think. I am firmly pressing and it isn't moving.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I tried both sides. No difference. I took it to my local gunsmith. He got it out but it came out slightly bent. Couldn't put it back in so he made a temporary pin and I'll call Ruger on Monday for another one. The Williams sights do look sharp on there, though.

Most of my Blackhawk rear sight pins came out okay except for one. Both my RedHawks were the toughest, though. Glad you got it out. The easiest rear sight to swap is the Vaquero. (LOL!)

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Pin probable fit a bit loose or if your not the original owner it might of been walking out. Old trick to a loose or walking pin is to bend slightly before installing. Had a pin in a mauser sight once that took about 15 hours spread out over various attempts to remove it had such a bend. New pin would go in by hand.

Good point, Mike. Also, just before pushing one out, I always try to start on the end that is recessed into the hole more just in case a previous owner hammered on one side with a steel mallet and slightly flattened the end but managed to get it flush. Then if a second, unsuspecting owner comes along and wanted to push it out to pop in those Bowen sights, he may end up pushing through the wrong way. I try to look at a newly acquired (preowned) revolver for tell-tale marks of sight removal and give a gentle tap on both sides to see which direction it might come out easier. I'm not a gunsmith, but I do like guns that fit my hands and sights that work for me, so I'm always swapping sights and grips.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I called Ruger and they sent me 2 new pins. I used the new pin to tap out the homemade one and it took its place. It was still tight to tap in. Certainly not like the videos I've watched but it's in now.

snakeeyes4445

Single-Sixer
Most front sights and perhaps pins also are installed from the right looking from the breech. Using a heavier hammer and more force on the first blow is recommended rather than multiple light taps which may peen and fatten the pin in the middle which you don't want. I've never had to use Kroil or other. Corrosion or surface oxidation seem unlikely in any relatively modern firearm.

Latest posts