coyote trapping

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Grandson discovered a new set--the "haypile set". It seems to be working as he has caught 2 and had one pull out in 3 days. That's as many as he's caught using scent hole sets for a month.
Really easy to set on frozen ground like we've had the past few days. Can be re-set right on the same spot after a catch if the ground is froze.
FWIW, the yoties are getting paired up early this year.

contender

Ruger Guru
Kudos to him!

I haven't tried a "haypile" set. Can you describe it in detail? I might have a need in the future for that type of set.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I hear coyotes at night every once in a while, but never see them. They are not a nuisance around here, so I would not shoot them if presented the opportunity.

A.J. said:
I hear coyotes at night every once in a while, but never see them. They are not a nuisance around here, so I would not shoot them if presented the opportunity.

They aren't a nuisance there yet. Just wait until their population density increases. With really no natural enemies and a fairly robust birth rate and low mortality rate for the offspring it won't be long before they do become a nuisance.

This is basically an above ground set. He uses 'drive rod' trap anchors so no above ground trap stakes. Set and bed two traps just at ground level (not too deep) approx 24-30" apart but don't cover. He does use a bit of sheep wool under the trap pan but not sure that's necessary. Spread the grass type hay in a circle 4' in diameter thicker in the middle(maybe 2 inches thick) and lighter toward the perimeter being careful to just barely cover the traps. Squirt some yote pee, female estrus scent, or similar in the center and you're done.
Grandson used some hay I'd had in the barn for the dogs to lay on so it smelled really 'doggy'. Our hay was cut at about 3-4' tall and rolled up with a big round baler leaving the stems full length and easy to fluff and spread vs being run through a square baler which would cut the stems @16-18" and much more difficult to spread thin and evenly. If this type hay isn't available, I'd say you could cut most any knee to waist high grass still standing and use that but it needs to be dry-not wet and clumpy.
The last coyote was caught well up on the main pad of each hind foot in both traps--no pulling out on that deal.

contender

Ruger Guru
So basically, a flat set,,using the hay as a visual, and smell attractant. The hay can hold scent,, (pee etc,) while also having a natural critter smell,, such as mice etc.
Trap placement,, towards the center,, or towards the middle,, or the perimeter of the hay circle? It appears the middle area with a leaning towards the center would be best.

Any "backing" placed anywhere?

On a 4' circle of hay he placed the traps 24-30" apart or 12-15" from the center. The layer of hay is much thinner toward the edges so the traps are just barely covered. No backing at all. The thicker layer of hay in the center (4"+/-) gives the set a 'focal point'.
I think this works better set on snow giving it more 'visual'.

Had another big dog coyote caught by a hind foot in each trap this morning. That's 2 in that set in 5 days. Not going to re-set until after the snowfall and will re-locate then.
As some may know, coyote fur isn't worth the time it takes to skin BUT we've found a market for skulls through a local taxidermist--better than nothing.

contender

Ruger Guru
Our local yotes stink so much,, that the market for the hides is almost nada. Especially in my area where the fur isn't thick enough for much. (Zone 3 fur trading,) As for skulls,, I may have to ask my local taxidermist. I recently disposed of a pair of yotes,, w/o bothering to even consider skinning any part of them.

Cyotes pelts up here in Maine are Prime this time of years! Thick!
Haven't heard anything about the stench! YMMV. Snow and cold must keep the pelts prime.
Snow is Touchole deep to a ten ft Indian some would say! Definitely need snow shoes.
Cyotes unlike people can run on the top after the snow settles some. ps

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Jeepnik said:
A.J. said:

They aren't a nuisance there yet. Just wait until their population density increases. With really no natural enemies and a fairly robust birth rate and low mortality rate for the offspring it won't be long before they do become a nuisance.

Thanks for the "heads up". There's still no coyote problem here in Northwest Michigan. Never caught one on a trail camera. Never seen one. Rarely hear them.

Until they become a problem, I plan to just let them be.

When I was a teenager, there was a $15 bounty on coyotes. Take the dead yotie to the county clerk's office (don't drag it into the courthouse BTW) and he'd bring out a big gnarly, nasty pair of scissors and snip about 1/2 of each ear off and you might even get your picture in the local newspaper. It was a BIG deal cause $15 was a week's pay for a kid. I think it was the winter of 67-68, I killed a pair (male & female) in the same 40 acres of brushland. At the time, one hardly ever saw a coyote. After that, the population began increasing and in a total reversal of logic, the bounty was terminated. By the mid-70's, there seemed to be a coyote in every clump of grass and the fur price was good so we hunted them hard. I paid my electric bill and bought most of my groceries with coyote fur. Now, there's a pack of yoties every couple of miles, the fur's worthless, and you can't have livestock in some areas due to predation.

contender

Ruger Guru
If they would bring back bounties on yotes,, a lot more folks would hunt them,, as well as trap them,, and the number of problems, would drop a LOT. Money will make folks do stuff. :D

Hey Ty, we caught another coyote in one of the week old 'hay pile' sets(3 catches & 1 pull out in that set). I think it may have been the smart one that had been digging the traps up. He dug a bit deep and got snapped. I figured the traps were frozen in and wouldn't work. Looked like one trap in the other set had been tripped but only caught a wad of hay.
Down side is the deer have discovered a windfall of fresh clean hay. Any ideas on how to release a deer from a leghold trap?

contender

Ruger Guru
Kudos on the other yote! Love it!

Deer releases,,, the safest way would be to take a sheet of plywood,, (3/8 or 7/16) cut a slot about 2" wide, about 10" long in the middle of the 8 ft side. A couple of handles on one side help. Using the handles,, holding the plywood sideways,, approach the deer,, placing the slot over the leg,, set it down,, and you have the trap & lower leg on your side of the plywood,, while the kicking & upset deer is on the other side. Two people doing this is better. One to hold the plywood, while the other opens the trap.

contender

Ruger Guru
Now that would be funny!

Often,, many states require a certain type of trap that allows a non-target (like deer) to escape unharmed.

But to watch a bunny cop to try & release a deer would be fun to watch,, ESPECIALLY if he didn't know you were watching. Make sure you get audio as well,,,!

langenc

Single-Sixer
A.J. said:

How do you know that?? How many turkeys, rabbits etc do they eat in a month??
Kill em all and cats, coon, esp possums and skunks. They are like vacuum cleaners on the ground nesters.