Six Series Double actions with pinned barrels?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was just looking at the popular auction site and saw they have a number of Security, service, speed six stainless barrels listed. The weird thing is that all have part of the frame attached and have a cross hole for a barrel pin. The frame section where the barrels threaded in is badly damaged from a vice too so I wonder how the chamber / threaded shank has fared. Another strange thing is these are stainless barrels and the frame sections are blued. Ruger pinto's?

The listing is active so no links but have you ever seen six series pinto's and pinned barrels on a Ruger Six series?

I have never seen a from the factory pinned Six series barrel, never and what you are describing sounds like a possible "Bubba" job. Nor have I ever seen a Ruger "Pinto" coming from the factory. If you can see it clearly, are the barrels actually Ruger barrels? People in the past have replaced Ruger barrels with Python and other Colt barrels as well as Smith barrels to make a hybrid handgun (don't know why, I like the Rugers just the way they are).

Without seeing the pictures, TO ME, as described, these are worthless, other than maybe for parts.

my bet is they are police, cut ups, ( some call this "dewatt") whatever, may have been "in stock", evidence, or played with by the armorers for 'practice' I know we did many years ago,,,,,,
heres some from our last batch......
evDaEEZm.jpg

P3BnL0Fm.jpg

5xN5p6wm.jpg

Makes for nice "pen holders"....... 8) :roll: :wink:

Gov. tax dollars at work...... :? This is what "gun buy backs " gets you... :shock:

Yes; Ruger barrels

Assuming I am allowed; here are a few photos from the listings. I don't think I would want one; they look pretty crushed at the thread end. I also don't see any barrel shank showing, NONE of the photos show the shank end. Possibly a Ruger barrel in another brand frame?

Yes, those look like they threaded the frame ( with a pipe wrench) onto the barrels, supported in a "padded vise"....the barrels look fine to me, wish you could look DOWN them ( either end) to make sure...all depends on what they want for them.......
as is, more "pen holders" mounted on a block of wood.... 8) :roll: :wink:

Those pieces of the frame are from a fixed sight Six series (PSS or Speed Six), definitely not a Security Six. Also, all the barrels are in the same frame piece, compare the marks on all the frame pieces. Why would you advertise the barrels this way? Just show the barrels with the length shown, either by laying a ruler below it or a marked piece of paper.

The first barrel is from a fixed sight Six series, the rest of them are from a Security Six. The barrels on fixed sight models do not have that ramp for the front sight.

Without seeing the threaded end or the forcing cone I would be hard pressed to say the price is good, personally I wouldn't take the chance.

hittman

Staff member
If you can get them for the price of first class postage ……

Wellll, it tells you that the barrel can screw into that piece of frame, but without seeing it up close that's about it. Why the cross pin hole, who knows, I have never seen a Six series with a pinned barrel and I have serial number Sixes from 1970 to 1988.

that price is way too much, not a concern as to the pin, thats the frame, any 'cross cut" would NOT show on another gun...bottom line they are no longer made and they are stainless would clean up like new.........sooooo "Pucker factor".... :shock:

In a lot of cases, when police depts have guns that have to be scrapped they have FFL's that they take them to to have the FFL cut up the frames. They normally have a LEO with them to watch to make sure they are "destroyed" and then many times the FFL will take the "destroyed" parts in lieu of payment for their work. The FFL then takes all the usable parts off and sells the parts and then junks the cut pieces, or makes pen holders and sells those.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's obvious that the frame piece is being used to highlight the barrels. The pin in the frame piece made me think; "It could possibly be a S&W frame piece,, just used to show off the barrel." Maybe???