Shotgun for hunting turkey

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Do some research before buying. Last fall, Son and I were in a gun shop and I picked up a nice looking 20 ga semi-auto. It 'felt good' but I don't really need another shot gun so I put it back in the rack. Son handed me another that generally looked and felt the same. Yup same gun just different furniture and name on the side--$150 cheaper.
Since several of the gun makers have been gobbled up by big conglomerates, they're selling the same basic design with slightly different features under other brand names at very different prices.

Benelli M2 20 gauge, ammo using TSS shot and a Carlson choke sized for TSS.

I use Apex Small Town blend TSS in my M2.

TSS = tungsten super shot.

Ratay has some Benelli clones that are getting decent reviews.

"I may be able to spend as much as $1500 to get something that will last"

That price point will get you into some pretty fancy shotguns. Maybe I'm wrong but for me, a 'turkey gun' is something that gets wet, dirty, dragged around, and generally mistreated. In 1970 I bought a new Rem 870 for this purpose and today it looks like all of the above happened often(which is true). The only hunting scenario that is worse is a waterfowl gun.
Find a proven design that has interchangeable barrels available(and reasonably priced). This will meet your needs for decades to come.

LaLaLand said:
Mobuck said:
"I may be able to spend as much as $1500 to get something that will last"

That price point will get you into some pretty fancy shotguns. Maybe I'm wrong but for me, a 'turkey gun' is something that gets wet, dirty, dragged around, and generally mistreated. In 1970 I bought a new Rem 870 for this purpose and today it looks like all of the above happened often(which is true). The only hunting scenario that is worse is a waterfowl gun.
Find a proven design that has interchangeable barrels available(and reasonably priced). This will meet your needs for decades to come.

You are totally correct, I will need something rugged that could stand against any weather/climate. Still haven't decided yet and weighing all the options.

I have a 12 ga 870 that shoots 3 inch ammo, kicks like a MO mule, talk about muzzle rise. The only thing worse is an 870 shooting 3.5 inch turkey loads. The 870 Supermag I had kicked like 2 mules at once, traded it for a Glock 17

With the vast array of screw in chokes on the market today, swapping barrels is unnecessary.

If I find the ammo, and the birds cooperate, I will use my 28 ga in the turkey woods this spring.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I use a Remington SP-10. I had it made in the custom shop. It has a 2 barrel set; a 26 inch vent rib with screw in chokes and a 20 inch with rifle sights and screw in chokes. I works quite well on turkeys, fox, coyotes and with 1 3/4 oz slugs, lays a smack down on deer too.

I have given all my 870's and Model 12s away to younger family members and am left with just the old Stevens break action single shot 20 gauge barn gun. I guess I am simple enough I figure you use what you have so that is what I used on both turkeys this year. Good hiding spot and I guess dumb birds works sometimes.
1STiVuQ.jpg

Aqualung

Blackhawk
buckeyeshooter said:
I use a Remington SP-10. I had it made in the custom shop. It has a 2 barrel set; a 26 inch vent rib with screw in chokes and a 20 inch with rifle sights and screw in chokes. I works quite well on turkeys, fox, coyotes and with 1 3/4 oz slugs, lays a smack down on deer too.

I have an 11-87 that is set up slightly differently.

I bought it at an auction with the 28" ribbed barrel and RemChoke. It only had the IC tube in it. I then bought a 20" smoothbore "Special Purpose" barrel for it that has the cantilever scope mount on it and RemChoke.

Now, it's good for pretty much everything.

I have it set up now with a 3-9X Simmons scope and IC tube for deer using good old Remington Slugger (Foster-Type) slugs. The SP barrel came with the IC tube and a rifled tube for sabot-style slugs, but my particular combo liked the Sluggers and IC choke...so that's what I use.

If I go for turkey, I swap out the scope to a 3X slug scope (crosshair with diamond reticle) and an extra-full turkey choke.

I'm not sure those SP barrels are made anymore, but another option is to mount a rail on the receiver or a use a no-gunsmith mount.

That's how my Winchester 120 is set up now, with the 20" smoothbore slug barrel (with Winchoke and rifle sights) and a Tasco (I think) no-gunsmith mount and 4X scope. I used the separate mount because cantilever mounts were not a thing then.

Aqualung

Check out Girsan Shotguns. An FFL friend has a guy that's a big shotgun hunter that normally uses the Benelli SBE and has switched to Girsan, (made in Turkey) and he's bought several of them, because he likes them so well and he can keep his Benelli in pristine condition. FWIW.