Mark IV, magazine problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redhawk41

Bearcat
Not long ago I bought a Mark IV that belonged to a deceased gentleman. Included were 8 OEM magazines among other things, so today I decided to shoot it for the first time using some of the loose Federal ammo that had been included with the gun.
The magazine that I happened to choose inserted into the gun normally and I fired just one shot. I tried dropping the mag and it would not release, so I removed the upper and with some effort pushed the mag out of the gun while holding the mag release. On closer inspection, the mag would now hang up about 1" from being fully seated when attempting to re-insert it, requiring considerable effort to do so. I checked the other 7 mags that came with the gun and 6 of them insert/eject perfectly normally while one of the others also hangs up (drags heavily) when inserted within about 1 1/4" of being fully seated.
I plan to fully clean it to see if it resolves the problem, but until then does anyone have any insight on this problem? I have visually compared the two problematic mags with the fully functioning ones and can see absolutely no damage or differences between them. The pictures below show how far the two mags easily slide in before meeting resistance.

Redhawk41

Bearcat
Ha, funny you should mention that. I came here to post an update saying that the top left-side grip screw is apparently a smidgen too long and has to be loosened for those two mags to slide in and out smoothly, then saw your reply. I appreciate your input and you were indeed right.

contender

Ruger Guru
Add a small nylon washer under the head of the screw,, and you will fix the issue. If you can't find a washer,, try a parts section where they sell Remote Control cars & Drones.

flintriverterry

Bearcat
This may or may not have anything to do with your problem, however, here is a problem Ruger resolved for me yesterday with my Mark IV:

My two factory mags were a struggle to insert. Like hiring a brick wall when inserting. I would insert & would have to push and wiggle the mag, to get it in.

I called Ruger and they sent me 2 mags, thinking that might be the problem. Nope, same problem, but slightly better, sometimes.

So, yesterday, I called Ruger & explained my problem. He said, "Are you slapping the mags in?" I said no, just pushing. He said, "These guns are made to have the mags slapped in."

So, with him on the phone listening, I slapped them in. All 4 mags inserted perfectly.
Problem solved. I was so happy, and he was happy, then told me to just keep the 2 extra mags as a gift from Ruger.

Ruger's CS is the best.

Latest posts