A little concerned

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folk's, I recently purchased a S&W mdl 14-3 in pristine condition. I was loading some Sierra 158grn JSP over some Unique. In the Sierra Vol 5 load manual it shows 5.0 to 6.1 grns Unique with the accuracy load as 5.7 (850 fps)-Their test gun being a K-38.I loaded 50 of these. My Hornady manual shows 3.9-5.1 grns Unique for 800fps max with their 158 grn JHP. Nosler shows 3.8-4.8 grns w/746 fps max with their 158 grn JHP. I dont want to put stress on this old girl so might shoot these in my mdl. 19 or Blackhawk.Should I even be concerned? I appreciate any input-Dave

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Only fifty rounds? Run them through your 19, or BH and then make up some loads that you're comfortable with. I think I'd be comfortable with the 5.7, but that's me not you.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Yessir, I loaded 50 of them & another 50 of some 158 poly coated SWC's over some HP38. I have some 158 XTP JHP I'll probably try with Hornadys data. Shooting less these days with the component shortage...

Cholo

Staff member
My old, as in 1978, Sierra manual lists 5 grs. to 6.4 grs. of Unique for that bullet in a .38 Special case. 5.7 gets 800 fps out of a 6" K-38. You're loading a Sierra bullet so you should be using a Sierra manual. It doesn't matter what Hornady and Nosler say with their bullet.

5.7 should be just fine.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies, just trying to wrap my mind around the big spread the different companies use for the same grain bullet. I'm just gonna shoot 'em in the 14-Thanks again-Dave

Considerable variation in jacket hardness, individual bullet/bore diameter of the test barrel, powder lot, and case type. In this situation, I'd choose the combination that more closely matches my available components and take the middle ground.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Considerable variation in jacket hardness, individual bullet/bore diameter of the test barrel, powder lot, and case type. In this situation, I'd choose the combination that more closely matches my available components and take the middle ground."

Good info in this statement.

A few more thoughts.
Always use the most up to date manuals. Cross reference stuff. But mostly,, as noted,, match things as best you can. THEN<, work at the low end,, and work up to your desired load.
Instead of loading 50,, load 10 at a time to see what you get. Saves components,, and is always safer to work up ammo.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
azleite said:
Thanks for the replies, just trying to wrap my mind around the big spread the different companies use for the same grain bullet. I'm just gonna shoot 'em in the 14-Thanks again-Dave

Hi,

You'll find a lot of different hardware used for testing. For example, you mentioned several handguns in particular. Revolvers will give different results than the test barrels used in some labs that don't allow for any gas leakage. There are many variables there.

Rick C

Paul B

Hunter
One thing I've noticed over the years, except for early editions, Hornady data has tended toward the conservative side compared to some other manuals.
Two, an S&W K38 and Model 14 are one and the same thing. A 14-3 is just the third iteration of the same thing. Prior to S&W changing to model numbers, it was the K38 Masterpiece. Your gun will be just fine. I have two, a 6" and 8 3/8". My pet loads are a 148 gr, Wadcutter and 3.1 gr. W231 or 2.7 gr. Bullseye. Foe a 158 gr. cast semi-wadcutter, 5.0 gr. of Unique. Both load are very accurate in my guns. FWIW, bullets are sized to .359"
Paul B.