Old Blackhawk parts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Loke

Bearcat
I recently acquired a nice 357 Blackhawk. I found out that it is in such good shape because Bubba didn't dare shoot it after introducing the trigger and hammer to his Dremel tool. I know that Ruger will install the transfer bar hammer and trigger in it, and am considering that option. I have looked at Brownells and Numrich, with no luck. eBay had one, but I'm not comfortable buying used sight unseen. Does anyone know of a source for a hammer and trigger that is reasonably priced?

thor's daddy

Bearcat
You may be able to pick up the parts via a Want To Buy (WTB) ad via the classifieds here, but again, it will essentially be "sight unseen", as would used parts from Numrich.

I'm not sure if Ruger will foot the bill for shipping, so having them do a conversion won't be without expense. Plus the fact that the converted action generally feels like garbage, would cool me pretty quick on the idea of sending it back to the mother ship.

Were it my money, I'd keep an eye out on eBay and post a WTB everywhere I could think of.

Good luck with your search.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I do not know if they actually have them but Power Custom lists old model hammers and triggers on their website. If I found what I wanted listed on Ebay and it looked okay in the pictures I would buy there. I have done fairly well over time from there. Most sellers give a pretty good description,

contender

Ruger Guru
I second the idea of not sending it back to Ruger. While the "safety conversion" works,, it just does NOT have the smooth feel of a correct OM.

That said,, I have purchased several parts sets that were taken out of OM's when Ruger did the conversion for someone. In buying these sets,, I've never had a bad one. But,, occasionally,, (not often) one set seems to not quite be "right" and I've switched sets,, and everything be smooth.
I'd place a WTB ad here for a set,, and the good members here won't sell you a bad set.

As for reasonably priced,, a normal set of parts will cost around $150.00.

BTW; If you still have all the other parts in that OM,, you are fine. If you have the safety conversion done,, you'd need a few more parts. The base pin is a biggie.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
+1 on NOT having the conversion done, you'll get your gun back with an action like an Arrow staple gun, besides, it's all about checking a box for Ruger's legal department anyway. OM parts sets are out there, & as others have mentioned, an ad in the classified section here is likely to procure one for you.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I recently picked up a 1960 made Single Six that had such a good price on it I didn't even slow down enough to notice the action had been "upgraded". Bought an OM action off EBay, dropped in just right. Kind of irked me to pay $$$ for "returned, don't use" parts courtesy of Ruger - but "4 clicks = happy".