New .30 super ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/federal-introduces-the-new-30-super-carry/

I'm not impressed. But no doubt they will sell some, and Nighthawk and S&W have released a couple pistols for it.

NikA

Buckeye
If they release a full size, locked breach pistol for it, I'd be interested. I've often thought an improved. 32 ACP could be a neat full size pistol round. Something like 7.65 French Long, but in modern firearms.

So, they're going to cut into manufacture of existing rounds to introduce and market yet another sub-caliber round right in the middle of the ammo shortage. Great planning. :roll:

NikA

Buckeye
Didn't see any dimensions in the articles, but it sure is close to 7.65 French. Maybe old is new again?

0218170005.jpg

The first three in the pic are .30 Pederson/7.65 French, last is 9x19.

From the manufacturer . . .

https://www.federalpremium.com/30supercarry.html

. . . and the NRA . . .

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/new-for-2022-30-super-carry/

Yawn.

With its .312" bullet and straight case it appears to be a derivation auto-loader version of the .32 H&R Magnum and/or the 327 Federal Magnum, depending on case length.

OMG . . . will Ruger offer it in a convertible option on the guns already so chambered? :wink: :lol:

NikA

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
With its .312" bullet and straight case it appears to be a derivation auto-loader version of the .32 H&R Magnum and/or the 327 Federal Magnum, depending on case length.

.32 H&R is a 27+mm case length; based on the pictures in the ad copy, I'd say this is more likely a 20-22mm case length. Wonder if/how much it's tapered?

When can I get a Glock magazine and an AR barrel for it so I can build a PDW? Inquiring minds want to know!

tunnug

Single-Sixer
And here I always thought that the .380 (9mm short, or shurtz) was the diet 9mm, I wonder how the ballistics compare with that round.

tunnug said:
And here I always thought that the .380 (9mm short, or shurtz) was the diet 9mm, I wonder how the ballistics compare with that round.

In the Federal Premium link above are a few ballistic numbers . . . selected to favor the new round, of course.

NikA

Buckeye
Patent application is a pretty good read, and has some actual proposed dimensions (link will download PDF): https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/7e/27/f8/36daa7966d0382/US20210223009A1.pdf

Based on the preliminary dimensions, looks like it's an 8x21mm cartridge with a ~.01" taper from mouth to rim.

It's also listed as approximately 50ksi pressure. Count on this one being LOUD from a pistol.

No idea whether the patent claims will stand up, seems to me the state of the art has already been established.

tunnug

Single-Sixer
Thanks, I didn't bother with the link, now I see why everyone else is going with the other calibers, smaller diameter case.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1) said:
So, they're going to cut into manufacture of existing rounds to introduce and market yet another sub-caliber round right in the middle of the ammo shortage. Great planning. :roll:
I would prefer they produce ammunition, reloading components and firearms for existing cartridges in this economy, rather than introduce new cartridges.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I suspect this will end up like .41 mag. A niche market, rather than wide spread, and for the same reasons. Unless the military and LE buy into it, which is doubtful given the billions of $$ already invested by them in current calibers - 9mm, .40, etc. They won't suddenly turn around and go with .30 simply because the cost of transitioning would be a deal breaker. And I don't think the civilian market for it is there either.

Paul B

Hunter
Pardon me if I'm underwhelmed. I've been a big time fan of the 1911..45AC comb for 68 years. I barely accept the "wonder nines" and doubt very much I'll ever buy a .30 Super Carry. I remember when the 8MM Rem. Mag. same, crusty old Elmer Keith at a Remington seminar blurted out, "OK, but what's it good for?" I noticed they compare the recoil recovery between the .30SC and the .45 ACP. Why didn't they also compare the recoil recovery of the .30 SC vs the 9mm Luger? I think the recovery difference in that case would have been negligible in a full size pistol like the 1911.
Paul B.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Performance wise , it appears slightly hotter than factory .32 Mag , similar to " medium " .327 .

Quick & dirty comparison of momentum suggests recoil a hair less , but probably not significantly different from std pressure 9mm .

Disclaimer - I Like hot .32's of various flavors . .32-20 accounted for significant % of " .38 Spl identified DA Revolvers " pre WWII , for good reason . .32 Mag and .327 * should * have been more popular .

But alas , a sales pitch to general public of why to replace a compact 9mm with a .30 Super would be a hard sell . Flatter trajectory and higher sectional density would be better talking points for a full size field pistol , than for the intended compact CCW market .

I predict success on the level of .357 Sig .

contender

Ruger Guru
While I feel it will be a slow mover in the general market,, there may be a niche market that they are targeting. USPSA, IPSC competition shooters.
A smaller diameter round,, means that they can stuff more rounds in a magazine of a specific length,, thereby giving an edge to a competitor to not have to reload as often.
Now,, I didn't read the ballistic specs etc.. but if it'll make "major power factor" then I know I'll see some soon enough. USPSA gamers & such are always looking for the equipment that will give them an edge over others,,, While I do sometimes see a change in equipment working for many,, it can often be over stated for most. Equipment changes doesn't cover up performance. You still need to be able to perform.
But we'll see.

And I fully agree that they should be focusing on getting out common stuff to the millions of us who need primers, bullets & powder,, or just loaded ammo instead of trying to introduce a new caliber.

I do understand the concept of offering a new product by companies. It generates interest,, and potentially god sales. IN A NORMAL MARKET. When you can't supply your products fast enough, or can fill all your current orders,, or aren't accepting any new orders,, don't waste resources with a new product.

I tend to agree the timing of a new handgun cartridge now might just kill it no matter how good it is. If this was normal times when we could walk into any sporting goods store or gun shop and see selves full of ammo, reloading stuff and full gun racks it would help adding a new caliber. On a side note a couple days ago while checking for some waterfowl ammo. The store had a case of .38 super ammo for sale, the only other handgun ammo was 9mm. You would think the priority would be other calibers way before seeing .38 super.

Latest posts