Flattop 44 with 7 1/2 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cal

Bearcat
Hello, I have a question for advance collectors about a 44 Flattop I have. This issue has been dicussed here before by others and I could sure use a little help also. I have called Ruger three times requesting information on this flattop. The first call to costomer service about two years ago, I was told that the flattop shipped in early 1960 and they could not tell me what barrel length it had when shipped due to COVID they were working from home. The next call about a year ago I was told it shipped in late 1959 from customer service again no information on barrel length. The last call today to customer service They thought it shipped as a 6 1/2 in 1959. I understand the barrel could have been changed out but it sure all looks correct. I also have no problem paying for the letter, but wanted to make sure it would include my barrel length or it would not be of any use to me if they just state when it shipped. Is it possible that this could have shipped before the BKH46 catalog number at a 7 1/2 and they dont have record of that during that time? This is serial 23099 and has no Ruger eagle logo on the barrel but a standard marking for a flattop barrel not a super blackhawk. Any help would be great. Thank you

hittman

Staff member
The letter is a whopping $10.00 …… get one.

ONLY Ruger will know; everything else is speculation. Unless of course you have the original box with its end label.

They will send you ALL the info they know.

I've found it helpful to include a polite letter telling them exactly what I "suspect" about the firearm and ask if they could please try to confirm my suspicions. On 2 or 3 occasions they have CALLED me to clarify and then followed it up with the official letter.

Welcome to the Forum.

P.s. ~~ its also possible it was shipped as a 10" and was returned to Ruger for a re-barrel …. Who knows?

thor's daddy

Bearcat
hittman said:
The letter is a whopping $10.00 …… get one...

Thanks for this little tidbit, Hitman. I've got a flattop 357 that's been converted to 44 Special. I've always been curious about its history. For the price of a trip through the car wash? Far more fun than those whirling brushes!!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The letters I've requested stated the original barrel length.

" Is it possible that this could have shipped before the BKH46 catalog number as a 7 1/2 and they don't have record of that during that time?

Anything seems to be possible but the records seem to be pretty good. Keep reading:

There's only three 7 1/2" barreled guns known (BKH47), #s 13289, 17898, and 20525. Records show #13289 was originally shipped as a BKH46, returned to stock at the factory for unknown reasons, then reshipped in Oct 1960 as "used", model BKH47. Records also show #10431 was originally shipped as a BKH46 in 7/58, returned to stock at the factory for unknown reasons, and reshipped in 2/61 as a BKH47. But the gun is apparently not "known" (no one has seen it).

Your gun's # 23099 is in the serial range manufactured in 1960. Your gun is also in the known range (15660 to 29735) of guns whose barrels had no eagle.
And had straight slot ejector housings; does yours?

With such a rare model, it's hard to say if yours is original, but as far as I can tell so far, nothing indicates that it couldn't be an original 7 1/2", so I believe it deserves a letter. And ask what the records show; like about the possibility of it coming back to stock and reshipped as a BKH47 like those above.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Ruger Customer Service has limited information as you have found on that far back when you call them. Most New Models they can tell you what you need to know but for older models it must be looked up by the person in the Records dept. The barrel length is one thing they have to physically look up in the shipping records.
Last year I submitted letter request for 3 Blackhawks. About a month later a received 2 letters complete and another letter with date and shipping destination but she could not confirm barrel length due to working from home for COVID and that she would have to go in to the office to get that info at a later date. The gun in question was a 7.5" Blackhawk shipped in 1959. I thought she had forgotten about the letter but I finally received the complete letter confirming barrel length 8-9 months later.
Right now even if you sent off for a letter it still may take awhile.

My 7-1/2" Type 4 flattop .44 was shipped FEB '60 as a BKH47, serial 228XX.

For interest, check out this thread https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=228951

Your gun's on that list, as is mine. :mrgreen:

cal

Bearcat
Thank you all for the help. I dont have the handgun in front of me, but yes I do beleive that it have the straight slot ejector housing. I will send off for a letter. Thank all again.

Latest posts