Would you consider carrying in a "murse"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Winter is here. Time for wearing a heavy parka when leaving the house, whether for a walk or going somewhere in my car. Carrying a concealed gun in a holster on my belt, or in a pocket holster is not a very practical way to stay ready and able to defend myself. One option could be to place the gun in the pocket of the jacket or parka, then when I get to where I am going (where I would normally remove my parka) going to a safe place like a stall in a restroom and transferring the gun back to my pocket or belt holster. But another option which would work would be to carry a discrete "murse" of some type. Many, many years ago I bought what they called a "cross carry bag" from Coronado Leather (I don't believe that they make this product anymore), which is a flat leather "murse" type bag that is designed to be worn across the body so that there is no concern about the bag slipping off your shoulder.

Before I could legally carry concealed I bought this bag, and at first wondered how likely it would be to trigger LEO interest in me. So I wore it a number of times, both in warm and cold weather, using this bag for my sunglasses, cell phone, wallet, keys but no gun. Never once, even at places such as a state capitol building with uniformed officers at the entrances, did anyone ever stop me or seem interested in what I might have in the bag. I became convinced that should I have chosen to do so, I could carry a gun confidently in that manner. The biggest or only negative is that since the bag is not attached to one's body as a holster on a belt is, it could be inadvertently left somewhere like on the back of a chair in a restaurant, or on the coat hook in a toilet stall.

Now that winter is here, I dragged that cross carry bag out of my huge bin of holsters and related gear, and am considering using it instead of a regular holster. It still has the problem of being accessible if wearing heavy gloves, but no more so than if I had the gun in a holster. Its just a matter of whether or not its a better solution than using the pocket of the coat instead. I'm still undecided on that issue, and would welcome comments.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Advantages:
1. Secure and plenty of room
2. Comfortable and practical way to carry

Disadvantages:
1. You may appear "fashion challenged"
2. Slow draw

Bottom line: Go ahead. Try it. See how it works. Yeah... Your buddies are gonna give you a hard time but you can harass them about other things.

fiasconva

Blackhawk
One thing I like to remind carriers about is this: If you are considering wearing gloves while carrying, make sure the gloved trigger finger will fit inside your trigger guard. You may not have time to remove your glove when the time comes.

During winter months, wearing gloves is unavoidable. And any gloves capable of keeping my hands reasonably warm during really cold weather would not be able to draw and handle a gun. I guess I would just have to be even more vigilant about situational awareness to ensure that I would have that extra two seconds to throw off the glove. Reality intrudes.

I occasionally carry a 'sling bag' (one shoulder backpack) while hunting especially in warm weather and used one of these often while working when I had to do field evaluations. I don't think I could bring myself to carry a 'murse' where lots of people could see me and no way would I carry my SD gun in one.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I've used a shoulder bag for over 30 years. Started using one when air travel was a constant theme of my employment.
Mine is a "TUMI" leather bag with a large central pocket that allows easy carry for my EDC. I don't use it as such every day however, I prefer OWB in a Kydex holster. I did use the bag as a primary carry method while taking a handgun class and found it to be not only a comfortable carry, but accessible and an easy draw.
As with anything practice makes it better.

That "murse" looks just like a woman's purse. Mine is all black leather and very plain. When I've used it I never have gotten any snarky remarks, but I would not care less if someone thought they were cute in making a stupid statement. I guess if they got snarky enough I could feel in fear for my life and have to do something dramatic.

I'd be willing to bet Vito has a better looking, more subdued, shirt than that and probably a few more pounds on him, I hope. :)

I think I have, but I'll vote a second time on 'yes' for the murse even though I don't like the 'new speak' name... just call it a damn purse and keep a good cigar in it too!

sncup

Single-Sixer
I've worn a cross body bag (messager bag?) now for over 4 years. Started when my wife was doing chemo therapy, and I was carrying reading material / supplies for both of us.
Book / ipad / barf bag / other extra's

Covid hit and I added hand sanitizer and extra masks. Yep is also has a rear pocket that fits a medium auto or snubby revolver just fine.

Worn this all sort of places both common, grocery shopping, to Trans Siberian concert.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I wouldn't wear a purse (call it what it is). But, I do sometimes carry a leather breifcase or a computer bag that has a shoulder strap. More manly and commonly seen today than a man purse (unless you lived in a big 'special' community). But what do I know, I am a grouchy old man. Just ask my wife.

Realized a few days ago that I carry a murse when ever I walk my dogs, now just one dog, around our neighborhood. I first started carrying this pouch with a shoulder strap to have a plastic bag to put dog poop in and also pick up the random beer can some lazy undisciplined idiot threw out while driving to or from work. Then I realized it was a good way to carry a cigar with lighter stored inside a case and if I sewed a holster into it I could then carry my Sig P230 too.

Latest posts