rude awakening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Daughter in Law's family aren't really gun enthusiasts but her Nephew likes to hunt. I won't comment on the choice of centerfire rifle but regardless, last week it was discovered that they only had 3 rounds of ammo for the 7mm08. A trip to the gun shop 5 miles down the road resulted in a big goose egg ammo wise. Not surprising for those of us gun nuts but a scary surprise for anyone not keeping up with the gun/ammo/reloading supply shortages.
Son did a quick check of the internet w/o much success and called me. I haven't used the 7mm08 since younger Son moved out and even then was using mostly handloads at the time so don't have any spare factory ammo to share.
I had nothing else to do and spent an hour clicking and scrolling and found something that meets the need and even went as far as to offer to split a case with them to lower the price and shipping per box. Not sure if that's going to fly but it's a long time until October 2022 so something may show up locally.

Cholo

Staff member
People who aren't gun enthusiasts have no idea about shortages in the industry.

Last Feb. I was at the gun counter in a Bass Pro Shops in Macon, GA. A guy came in and asked where the .243 ammo was. The woman said they didn't have any. He asked where the rest of the ammo was. She said they havn't had any ammo at all in the last few months. The guy just stared at her for a few seconds with a blank look.

I'd say that gun enthusiasts are a very small % of all the gun owners in the US.

Cholo said:
People who aren't gun enthusiasts have no idea about shortages in the industry.

I'd say that gun enthusiasts are a very small % of all the gun owners in the US.

+1 on both statements…

The newspapers here have been running a short AP story on the ammo "shortage," and how it's affecting deer hunters.

Great article :roll:, except:
-the "shortage" has been on/off for many years, depending on one's criteria
-our firearms deer seasons were over here, before they even started running the story! :p

Re: firearms owners not being enthusiasts, try asking the average deer hunter what load they shoot.

Below average: ".30-06"
Average: "Remington .30-06"
Above average: "Remington .30-06, 150 grain"
Graduate level: "Remington .30-06, 150 grain Cor-Lokt"
Tip: you don't need to be an experienced handloader, to read the info on the box! 8)

I got a bunch of .17 HM2 ammo from a friend (who should know have known better). He told me it was "crap," bulging and splitting. Seems there was "extra room," in his .17HMR chamber! :mrgreen:

NikA

Buckeye
Uncle Howie said:
Re: firearms owners not being enthusiasts, try asking the average deer hunter what load they shoot.

Below average: ".30-06"
Average: "Remington .30-06"
Above average: "Remington .30-06, 150 grain"
Graduate level: "Remington .30-06, 150 grain Cor-Lokt"
Tip: you don't need to be an experienced handloader, to read the info on the box! 8)

You give a lot of credit. I wouldn't be surprised with an answer like ".30 cal", which could be anything from a .300 Blackout to an exotic .30 magnum. In a pinch, a .308 will work in a .30-06, right?

I have always kept a couple of boxes of ammo for each gun I owned. Now that I reload I keep several hundred rounds per gun I reload for, plus components for many more.
gramps

Well, I do have plenty of components but these days, I won't even let the Grandkids shoot my handloads.
I found some 7mm08 ammo for $36/box with free shipping on 6 boxes but that didn't fly even though I offered to take 1/2.
Oh well, maybe things will improve before 10/28/2022 (next year's youth deer season).