Not to stir up a hornet's nest, but....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
That's why the make more flavors than just vanilla. I personally really like Rocky Road, but Mint Chocolate Chip is also good at times. I also really like 1911-style pistols, and have owned several over the years. In a previous life, I built National Match 1911A1s for the Army. Are they the end-all of auto pistols? No. I've also owned a couple of different Walthers, Makarovs, Browning Hi-Powers, S&W M&Ps, Glocks, etc. I also own and have owned various revolvers - Colts, S&Ws, Rugers, and others. Is any one the ultimate handgun? Not as far as I'm concerned. I like some better than others; the ones that I like, I typically keep. The other ones go down the road. I still own three different 1911-style pistols.

gunzo

Buckeye
Some basic opinions on just the full size, as my opinion on all chopped down versions of any design can /will cause a new set of problems. I won't judge an original design by major alterations of that design. A proper 1911 is very dependable. The number of manufacturers that make them can lead to good or bad things.

The basic design.
To my knowledge, no semi auto pistol can be tailored to the individual as well as the 1911. Glock is working on it with their interchangeable back straps, but those make the large grip circumference even larger. The 1911 is slim, but dimensions can easily be altered buy a simple grip change.

The 1911's mainspring housing can be changed to a different shape that will alter the natural pointability to suit the individual. There are at least 3 shapes available, & there have been more. Maybe still.

The 1911's trigger can be changed with choices of at least 3 different lengths & multiple face shapes.

The 1911 still, & will likely continue to have vast aftermarket & spare parts support. The Glock aftermarket is big & growing. But that doesn't take anything away from the 1911.

I don't think the 1911 is the have all handgun, but I do think a lot of them and if one was all I had I'd be more than well served.

roger nuss

Bearcat
Smaller hands and thinner grip are not a thing . The important thing to hand size is distance from backstrap to trigger . So there's that.
Anyway I don't consider the 1911 particularly obsolete since it works in pretty much the same manner as any "modern" gun.
The Government Model and the Hi Power are the best pointing pistols I've ever held. If I were going to everyday carry a full size pistol it would be a da first shot gun like a 228 Sig, or a 639 Smith.
If I knew I was walking into a fight, I'd take my Government Model.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Oh, and I dont consider the 1911 obsolete. I just dont have the nostalgic love affair some do when there are (to me) better options available.

Hi,

I don't have any 1911s and have only shot a few. They worked. And to me, that sounds like one of the first criteria for any gun. A buddy had a raft of 1911s from various makers and loved every one of them. He was one of those types who develops an attachment to various items which doesn't really have a rational base--one of those "I'd walk 50 miles if my Ford truck broke down rather than ride in a Chevy" things--but the attachment's just as strong regardless. I think that's probably true of most of us. It's fun to watch!

Rick C

I had a Gold Cup set up to shoot 200 grain semi wadcutters owned and shot it for years. Was offered a ridiculous high price for it so I sold it. Was a great gun. Sometime later I bought a Kimber that was a total turd....sold it and later was stupid enough to get another. After two trips back to Kimber dealing with what at the time was crappy service I sold it cheap. I'll never buy a product from them again.
I like 1911s fine but to me they're not really special in any way.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
wwb said:
Compare that to the trigger on a plastic fantastic pistol.
ROTFL.gif

SO true! :wink:

:D

SteveSt

Bearcat
My first 1911 was a Ruger SR 1911 and I really liked it. I have added several since and enjoyed shooting them all. I had 2 Kimbers, a full size and a Commander. They shot well but I wasn't impressed with either one of them, so I sold them. I have a few 1911 style pistols that are double stacks that I like shooting too. My favorites are Para Ordnances. I have 5 and are trying to get more. My biggest problem is having enough funds to buy 45 ACPs AND Blackhawk revolvers. :D

Paul B

Hunter
I like the 1911s. They just plain work when you need them given at least minor care and oiling. My main carry piece is a Colt Combat Commander with an 8 round magazine and one up the spout. Back up magazines are two 10 round Wilsons normally and if I expect problems can add another 8 round Wilson magazine.

The Commander is for all practical purposes strictly stock. The only work done was changing the stock grip safety for a beavertail style. I also polished the feed ramp for a slightly smoother feed with bullet shapes other than hardball.

I also have a Sig P220 in .45 ACP and one needs a pretty large hand for that gun. Firing in double action is difficult due to my small hands but in single action mode shoots like a target pistol. It sits in the safe most of the time.
Paul B.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
It's just like owning a classic muscle car.......Awesome in soooo many ways....but not a daily driver for most

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I carried a 1911 in combat in 3 different countries and it has never failed. It fits my hand like it was molded to me, its more accurate than any handgun should be, its been reliable in sand/mud/rain and bone dry weather, its a back up weapon for when my primary is down so capacity has never been a major concern. Granted, I do not buy or carry lower end guns. I would take a 1911 over ANY plastic wonder gun, all day every day and twice on Sunday

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
I owned a Kimber ultra Crimson carry II for quite a few years, but I never could get it to where I could trust it to carry. Just when I'd think it was trustworthy, it would act up. I loved the size of the ultra and it was fun to shoot when it was running, but I sold it!
I have a Ruger P345 and I have carried a little bit. I trust it and I've never had a problem with it! It's pretty accurate, shoots well and it's somewhat concealable, but still too big.
I bought a Ruger SR 1911 that I bought a year or so back full-size and it's fun to shoot seems to be very reliable. It feels great in my hand it's fairly accurate but I still haven't found a holster that I think I could carry it with in the summer! Hopefully someday I'll start carrying that.
But I'd still like to end up with an another 3 inch 1911 as a carry gun. Kind of looking at BUL for the future.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Kimber does not have a good reputation around here. I have a cheap 1911 and it's one of the smoothest operating guns I have. I had a S&W 4516 that was the 1911s only rival I've owned. Why? They're both metal. Maybe I'll get another Smith GEN3 or a Sig one day. The reverence from me is the feel and the feel is from the steel.

I'm not big on autoloaders, but I do have several. And among those, the 1911's are one of my favorites. It points naturally for me, and they have been reliable, as long as I don't feed them SWC ammo. The only problem child 1911 that I have is the Para Ordinance Warthog with it's 3" barrel - no surprise there. :)

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Why the 1911?

A. It's not plastic
B. Any questions? Goto #1

Seriously, why Ford and not Chevy? Rolex vs. Timex?

Different strokes for different folks, no answers there.

jmca

Bearcat
I also like 1911-style pistols and own several. In a previous life, I trained under the Navy to build National Match 1911A1s for the Coast Guard. Are they the end-all of auto pistols? No. I also own a couple of different Walthers, Beretta's, Hi-Standards, Brownings, etc. I also own various revolvers - Colts, S&Ws, Rugers, and others. Is there an ultimate handgun? I don't know? I like some better than others; the ones that I like, I typically keep. The other ones go down the road. I still own four different 1911-style pistols.

jgt

Buckeye
If we are forced into using firearms to defend ourselves in the future, I think a lot of people are in for a rude awakening. I believe in that world the loose fitted 1911 with ball ammo is going to be a prized position. The high dollar, put them all into one hole autoloaders (including the 1911) will be much less an asset compared to one produced for the conditions that exist during battle.